Thursday, September 20, 2007

listen

Listen to the song here in my heart, a melody I start but can't complete
Listen to the sound from deep within, Its only beginning to find release
Oh the time has come for my dreams to be heard
They will not be pushed aside and turned
Into your own, all 'cause you won't listen

Listen...
I am alone at a crossroads, I'm not at home in my own home
And I've tried and tried, To say whats on my mind
You should have known
Now I'm done believing you, You don't know what I'm feeling
I'm more than what You've made of me
I followed the voice, you gave to me
But now I've gotta find my own
You should have listened

-Beyonce, Dreamgirls Movie, 'Listen'


I try, to learn to understand people and help people understand themselves.

==

Met Creampuff for lunch today. We try to meet every week. I'm becoming addicted to the food at his workplace really. It's a foodcourt - a place I don't usually have lunch at, but the standard of the food there is really good. Well, at least for the 2 stalls I always eat at. I am glad that there are some people I can meet every week in my life. Starting next week, I'd be seeing Zero every week too.

There are some people in life whom you meet and almost instantly you are 'tuned in' to the person. Creampuff has been avidly listening to my life tales since Day One when we started chatting at a boring Expo. Juice, Kylie's friend, also has been in tune. It's nice to have some people who sincerely wants to listen to you, though I'm afraid I'm usually boring them to death. Just listening to me talk about life and theirs, too. I'm glad that through everything that happened, I found friends I can really trust. I'm glad for a weekly lunch chat out of The Office. And colleagues who are nice and really care about building relationships. I look at some people, working so hard, OT and more OT all the time, it really drains them. And they are left with no time and no energy to build real relationships. I'm glad that part of my job is to build relationships - though that's pretty draining too!

It's nice to share the ups and downs with people you trust. I think it's partly because they also value the relationship that they have with you. For me, I won't build up a relationship with a person who is obsessed with work all the time. It just shows in their attitude towards others. A healthy work-life balance is essential. I do like to work, but I get fatigued easily, so, I guess listening to my body and accepting rest when it's needed.

I never realised people really cared in our society... but they do, without words. Sometimes, just an email, or a walk down a lonely street together with someone who's hurting shows you care enough to make the difference. People will come and go. But there are some friends that stay, for a lifetime. What makes you that lifetime friend?