Tuesday, October 06, 2009

if you forget me

In front of the Melbourne State Library.

Why do we take photos?

I don't really REALLY like to take photos, except if it is with friends, family or some places I've travelled to. Looking at my photos in Melbourne at the same spots - it was planned earlier by my best friend now staying and working there, of course... I wouldn't be able to know all the places - it seems like these places are familiar to me, even though I don't think I would be able to remember my stay in Melbourne so long ago. At least, what I remembered of the place were not the landmarks and the scenery, but the people, and the places - I had a neighbor's cat who would 'adopt' me in the daytime which made me an instant cat-lover in the duration of the 2 weeks of my stay in the rented house walking distance from Queen Victoria's Market.

For me now, taking photos brings me to a journalistic mood of sorts. Why this need for documenting everyday stuff? I guess we look forward to reviewing our photos and hence, the memories. I spend quite a lot of time looking, collaging, compiling my photos and am proud of the nice shots. Also, I want to look back at the happy times spent, the nice food eaten, basically I treasure the 'here and now'. What we are blessed with, I cannot and will not take for granted.

I know that it is a luxury in many countries around us to just go to a 'restaurant' and have a meal. Yet we do so almost every week, isn't it? And we can easily find nice Japanese restaurants, or other cuisine if we so desire. Even meeting up with close ones - we seem so busy to make the effort at times, yet we do not realize how easy it is for us, just a train ride or a bus ride away to meet with friends. For others, their friends might be miles away yet they still communicate frequently, what gives? All I can say is I realized... it takes two. You might be wanting to catch up with the buddy but said buddy may not have the same on his mind. Usually for me, I suggest, and wait to see what happens. If buddy is keen and pro-active as well, I do look forward to an eventual meeting. If buddy seems reluctant... perhaps hesitant even, well, maybe it's a point of time in his life where he is busy with other stuff. So I just leave it, for now. But I do wonder at the people who don't even bother to reply back! Are they even too busy for the friendship, or... they have not received your sms?

Anyways... I am not like that, and I can say none of my 'true friends' are like that too. I hope...

I am looking forward to taking more meaningful photos.



20 years' ago Emu at Melbourne Zoo. Now, 2 Emus at Weribee Zoo. Below, Swanston St Church of Christ (I think the name is changed now). The only change on the exterior is that the door is painted red. Interior, everything's changed. It looks like a university lecture hall (and it IS used as one! For RMIT students!) Last photo, it's a flower shop along the 'downtown' road. I don' t know if it's the same flower shop, but it's at the same location. It's so nice when people buy flowers for fun!

If you forget me - by Pablo Neruda
I want you to know
one thing.

You know how this is:
if I look
at the crystal moon, at the red branch
of the slow autumn at my window,
if I touch
near the fire
the impalpable ash
or the wrinkled body of the log,
everything carries me to you,
as if everything that exists,
aromas, light, metals,
were little boats
that sail
toward those isles of yours that wait for me.

Well, now,
if little by little you stop loving me
I shall stop loving you little by little.

If suddenly
you forget me
do not look for me,
for I shall already have forgotten you.

If you think it long and mad,
the wind of banners
that passes through my life,
and you decide
to leave me at the shore
of the heart where I have roots,
remember
that on that day,
at that hour,
I shall lift my arms
and my roots will set off
to seek another land.

But
if each day,
each hour,
you feel that you are destined for me
with implacable sweetness,
if each day a flower
climbs up to your lips to seek me,
ah my love, ah my own,
in me all that fire is repeated,
in me nothing is extinguished or forgotten,
my love feeds on your love, beloved,
and as long as you live it will be in your arms
without leaving mine.


Posted by Picasa