Tuesday, May 04, 2010

an interesting job indeed



Just watched 'The Blind Side' starring an unrecognizable Sandra Bullock. It's a great movie. Very well-done acting and scripting. It's about Christian values but not overboard preachy. Most of all, a believable remake of a true story! I thought it would be overly weepy and emo but it's not, yay! I enjoyed it tremendously and so will you.

One friend remarked to me today that out of all the people she knew, she thought that I had the most interesting jobs. It's a compliment! (I hope...) Well, the titles are interesting enough...and so are the people I meet in the line of work. Doctors, Parkour founders, Restauranteurs, Exercise gurus, Chicken farm owner, Dog farm owner, Authors...yeah most people would not get to meet them.
But with a sigh, I ponder over my 'choices' and wonder if I could have done something, more stable. At this age, there's no more 'playing', but doing something meaningful and career-enhancing.

Design/creative jobs just don't feed and clothe me well, despite the fact that I'm good in it. Can I find something else that I'm good at that is lucrative? This current job seems to be, although I don't want to say too much until I'm a bit more settled in. I'm really thankful for this opportunity although at the same time it's also a risk, but I hope I can make it my career and help many people at the same time. I always find it meaningful to help people in my line of duty.

And in line with the recent news articles over the jobs debate, it's not my fault that I change jobs so often. I suspect the hype about younger workers changing jobs more often is all in a bid to get companies to 'see' older workers as more valuable, being less likely to change jobs. Of course, I also don't have a good impression of those who don't stay in the job for more than 3 quarters, and repeating this behavior time and again. 5 jobs in 5 years type of person!!! It seems frivolous, it seems that they have not decided what they want to do and are wasting all the employer's time and effort. Of course, part of it may be they make disastrous choices. It is always a gamble to take up one job and not another.
I think the job market has changed so much that it's impossible to stay for long in a SME. All my previous bosses fell with cashflow problems, which is ultimately frustrating if you intend to stay in the job for long-term. Of course, staying with the co might 'pay off' in the long run, but so far I did not have this mentality. Maybe I'm scarred from previous occurrences. After all, can you really trust your efforts with a boss who cannot manage his finances and owe you some months of CPF or claims....?

Anyway, I'm blessed to have some good experiences in my jobs too, so I shall not complain. Just take it as an investment for a lesson learnt, as what they say. In all, there is more 'good' than 'bad', I choose to see it that way. The people I've met and friends I've made, in a nutshell, is priceless.

In my current line of work, hmmm, let's say I view many people CVs and help them to be 'in' or 'out'.
I got to see some inspiring CVs like those from humble background, not even passing secondary school, dropped out and have to take ITE courses... from a minority race... (which not many cos like to employ, truth be told), working from the bottom and becoming a success story...a manager of a team with good sales result... really inspiring! And they are nice and humble on the phone. In this line, the benefit is that people will be really grateful to you as you are the 'judge'. One funny lady even made me laugh by asking me to matchmake her too! (Being 'single' as well.)
However, there are nasty people too. When I spoke to a lady applying for a bank job, she kept asking the specific scope and nature of the job, which I replied that I would prefer that the bank hiring manager himself told her the minute details and not hear it from me. (Duh.) She just nastily said, 'Oh, so you don't know what the job is about isit?' I wanted to clobber her. And this is just the first round of interview. So rude! Today, I had another rude case. A guy who kept blabbering on and on about how this bank (Bank Y) is so slow to respond to his application whereas Bank X was immediately accepting him, and kept going on and on about how they are so slow, so lousy, the position is nothing much compared to X position, the clients were not as high net worth as claimed... etc...!

He seems so reluctant for this job, which he applied for, and kept grousing to me over the phone....and behaved as if he was 'helping me' instead of the other way round! He really riled me up and I just cut him off saying 'So do you want to proceed with your application?' He was very impolite, I guess this is the way he treats people, without respect. The position was quite a prestigious one, with many people from private banks experience, applying,...really impressive people earning more than the expected salary requirements... and with his experience of only working in Prudential for a year, does he really expect Bank Y to fall head over heels to employ him... I regret calling him!!! The inspiring guy who dropped out of secondary school who became a successful sales manager, is etched in my memory because a few days later, he called to thank me and even told me to put him for any job of a similar capacity. So nice. Unlike Mr Rude.

I think the way you treat people goes a long way. Rude service staff always gets on my nerves. (Yes, especially those who insist on speaking Mandarin to me, heavy accented Mandarin and I do not understand a word.) I do sympathise with the store in a way, they perhaps employed the wrong person. But after all, I may be spending quite a lot of my hard-earned money at your store, so the least I expect is some basic courtesy.