Sunday, January 02, 2011

Of thoughts hitting us from out of the blue

I find it really strange, sometimes, how the mind works.

All the time we have been filling our mind with the most mundane of thoughts.
Mine usually goes: 'What should I wear tomorrow, which bag should I carry, don't forget to buy contact lens, should I buy iced or hot coffee, alamak the next train is 6 minutes later, etc'... but sometimes your mind just gets stuck on one thing like a broken record or a song you fancy so much you can listen to it 20 times on auto replay and not get tired of it.

Sometimes the things that go through my mind never fails to amaze me. It's the revelation of how, suddenly, a little vignette of a past scenario that wants to go on replay in my mind. Or otherwise, a recent occurrence that cause you to stop in your tracks and start the thinking process.

I've recently taken on an 'isolationist policy' after some tiring and personally emotionally draining events. I don't want to look old, so I made sure I had adequate rest, beauty treatments, time-consuming hobbies like scrapbooking, and the like. But yesterday I ventured forth and was last seen alone, rereading a spiritual book which is part of a reading plan I aim to complete these months, hoping that no one would chance upon me for that sacred half hour.

Alas, an acquaintance wanted to sit near me and chat.

I was polite but I admit I did not really want to...share, so I turned many could-be sharing questions into jokes with an air of nonchalance. He along with 2 ladies came to sit around me, and asked me about my resolutions, sincerely. I tried to turn the conversation into something light by replying that I had 'plans' to go to post xmas sales... and indeed, the ladies launched into the topic with heart. But I felt bad as in the past I had always tremendously enjoyed chats with him. You could say that we were on the same page. So I sincerely asked him back about his resolution as I could tell he really wanted to share, with me. And he did, and we both exchanged smiles and kind words about our jobs and lives. As I left, I just felt touched by...the essence of a human spirit, a kindred spirit. He couldn't possibly have known about all the things that had happened, by all means we were just acquaintances. Yet just by a simple sharing my heart smiled at how a kind and sincere smile could make this day a special one.

How do I tell you or anyone about this little thing I treasure between friends and lovers, the way we can both connect over observing and coming to the same conclusions about the people in our lives, the way we can talk or write to each other about that, the innate curiosity we have towards certain things of interest, that enables our friendship to last through the years and pick up where we left it, the way other friendships can't? What is that little thing? A clique, a connection of the soul? I guess the simplest way of saying it would be that we're both on the same page.

Then I realize I value this little, insignificant thing so so much. And I hope I make wise enough decisions not to ruin any treasured friendships I already have.