Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Do what?

I'm reading this book now, "Becoming a Person of Influence" by John C Maxwell and Jim Dornan. One thing that struck me today was something said by William James:

"Everybody ought to do at least two things each day that he hates to do, just for the practice."

So today, actually...there was one thing. I had to go to this job interview for a job that I did not want as I disagreed with the salary, the location and the job scope itself. Besides, the interview was postponed thrice and the first time, I made a trip there for naught. So I was increasingly irritated as well and really wanted to go to the gym instead of this interview, before cell today. But, I remembered what I read, and I felt compelled to just go , even though I really do not want to...Thought I would do something to build up my character.

On the way there, I met someone - a Trinitarian! This guy whom I've always seen around in church but never got acquainted to. We both recognized each other, but hesitated to say hi. After all, we were practically strangers. I took of my earphones and ventured to say something which in retropect was rather idiotic - "Hey, you're from church, right?" We just started talking (another amazing thing, in the past I would never do this...I'd walk hurriedly away, haha) and he asked where I was going, I shared about the interview that I did not want...After the conversation, he told me he would keep a lookout for a job for me, and said actually he was feeling pretty down before he met me, because of his work, but he actually brightened up and we both managed to share and encourage each other before we parted.

I'm really amazed at this divine appointment, I stop to think that if I had never ventured out of my house, I would not have a chance to encourage someone, or to even know this person.

The next thing I had to do was to run ...OH I hate running... I can walk stairs or lift weights but please don't ask me to run. Shiner said that he doesn't like people who do not have the right attitude and mindset in taking on stuff like running. I am someone who is peeved when anyone implies that I don't have the right attitude (Perhaps I don't really have one, yes?) So I'd go all out to 'prove' the person wrong, that I am right... Well, yesterday I ran 1 round round the small jogging track below my house...Heard about thighs getting huge if jogging on flat surfaces, so I sprinted and ran on 'terrain' which included several staircases. Today, I ran 2 rounds. It's really 'nothing' when you look at the small small track... but to me, it's a big accomplishment - Doing something I hate to do... And also, to prove people right, in the right attitude of doing things. Shiner's slightly amazed that I can push myself to do these things, but then again, I am tenacious, =) And actually the weather today is cool and breezy, just the right temperature for a midnight sprint. My legs ache though, I wonder if I can manage 3 rounds tomorrow...

I'm still wondering about God's purposes...lately He has been answering all my 'short-term' prayers...Simply wonderful, as I do pray seriously about the small matters that mean so much to me. I hope to be used by Him, to hear the prompting within, something which I've neglected for some time. =) I'll rest happy tonight, despite the aching legs.

Categories: ,