Thursday, March 30, 2006

Love comes first

I've noticed...
Some people are so absorbed in work that they cannot find relationships, or is it the other way around - they cannot find relationships and so they get absorbed in work. Can I have both, please. I've seen many successful men and women who get to the top, often to find themselves single, lacking in that one aspect of life that seems to be the most important. After all, emotional bonding is a necessity. Love is a necessity, at least for me. I've seen people who function extremely well when feelings are not involved, yet get into a mess because they cannot fathom the emotions that seep deep into the abyss of their soul, something they have ignored for the longest time. Perhaps only when they are on an overseas trip, be it a holiday, or some traveling to be done, then the pangs of loneliness sets in and they look searchingly at the horizon, wondering if they have given up too much, or dreamed of too little.

I've met many eligible guys in their 30s, many nice single ladies, both in my office and outside, people I talk to, people I've come to be friends with. When it is no longer possible to be with someone who is totally right for you, are you willing to settle for less? And if there is no one you can possibly imagine spending the rest of your life with, would you want to spend it alone? Is there no alternative solution for our increasingly single society. It's not as if they do not want to get married, perhaps this has never really been an important agenda for them in the life with so-many-things-to-do. Yet I see wistful longings on their faces when I tell them excitedly about my youthful dreams of relationships and kids, of a husband that loves me. I see the pangs of loneliness on their faces when I gush to them about the dates I've been to, the guys I've seen. Perhaps in listening to a young girl's dreams they remember once, that they had the capacity to love, and be loved in return.