Thursday, June 01, 2006

Sale, sale...sale!

Oh yes.

I am a window shoppaholic (that is good right, save money and get more 'educated')... Due to the nature of my work I am able to walk around many metropolitan areas in sg, mostly concentrated to those located in the CBD area. No such thing as cannot find good and affordable stuff in the upmarket places, even in upmarket places there are store with good bargains.

And shoes.
Shoes are the bane of my life, having been born with small (but broad) and delicate-skinned feet. Those who know me will have had the experience of me telling them about the horrendous blisters I get when I slip into a nice pair of open-toed heels. Even flats are out of the question for me as anything that touches my heel will leave it raw. The last time I wore nice, expensive heels, my ankles ached for days and I had an infected blister on top of another previous one, on my small toe on the left. Sigh. I have some friends whose feet will feel absolutely nothing while wearing mango stillettoes, or cheapo Far East Plaza shoes, or even when standing on those stone embedded in cement that is supposed to make your blood circulate... I do wish for less delicate feet, but there is a plus point to this - I am never tempted by any shoe sale, ... I used to be... I bought my many pairs, but now all are collecting mold and cockroaches and whatsoever in my shoe cupboard.

And, I save money because I really wear my pair until the wood shows, and I do have to invest in pricier shoes most of the time, for added comfort level. I saw a pair I really liked at ALDO, not sure whether it's a Canadian or US brand, but they seem to be expanding here really fast. It looks classy enough to go to work yet nice and relaxed too with slacking clothes for sunday. My honey has promised to get it for me, how sweet... =) Hope it fits.

Back to the sale, not much of a sale I think... M)phosis has good bargains but then again, the stuff really looks dated. Oh, I do like the current trend of polka dots, so tempted to buy one of those cutesy babydoll shirts with buttons and lace on a polka dotted background... The stripes in red and white, or blue and white looks great too... just that I know I'd only wear it once or twice and then I'd get sick of it.

I used to have a 'wardrobe rule' - as I'm such a chronic shopper previously, would blow my allowance on little trinkets and cheap clothes (but not cheap looking okay) and ... go broke for the rest of the month. I'm poorer now since I'm working for my own keep... haha.

The wardrobe rule used to be, never buy anything new (of the same type) unless the last thing I have bought has been worn, at least twice. The problem with my wardrobe is that it looks empty. Too big, too airy and my clothes take a really long time to come back to it (Large family, small washing machine.) So, I am always looking and find nothing to wear. In the context of work clothes, of course. I have too many of those type of abercrombie and hollister tees that I won't buy any more - unless I don't have that particular color, haha! (I recently bought an orange one.) So... no more tee shirts that is final. For sleeveless I am really picky picky so I don't have that many... just american brands to cover my long torso.

I am very happy to find shoddy looking shops that offer more than what is the expected norm - those ah lian clothes in horrid warm fabric and priced really expensively, ones that all the girls now are wearing... terrible fit, and too too pricey for that material. Pay abit more and go for Topshop if you are into this kind of silhouette. I've trawled Bugis Village and Bugis area, no good clothes. City Plaza in Paya Lebar has a really good find - this shop that sells pretty, pretty dresses by designer labels for a steal - cannot confirm it's authenticity but the material looks genuine. Bought a lovely pink and black dress, silk chiffon ... nice for weddings and stuff! They have unique jeans too which I think is genuine A-list brand... all women. So far I still think City Plaza at Paya Lebar is the best haunt. The ah lian clothes there are cheaper too. I plan to go there every month! The korean brand clothes are lovely too, abit mature, nice work styles. Trawled Raffles Place area these days. It's funny to say that I don't really know my area well even though I work here. I've been told there are lots of good places to eat and stuff but I usually grab a bite at my office's inhouse cafe. So well, had some time off yesterday and randomly walked to places I don't usually walk to. There is a BLUM-like store with one-piece designer things. Big sizes tho, but not very expensive at all. I do like BLUM, always salivate at their nice blazers and wonder if I will look too power suited in them. Bought brownies at this place for my honey, I alway walk past this shop but never bought anything from them until one day - a small chicken pie. I must say it's really fabulous. Shall try the cheesecake and other stuff, soon!

And... my efforts of trawling were rewarded, at the back of all the ah lian clothes shop in Change Alley, found a decent looking shop with a few pieces I like, which looked nice and ... nice material too. Most of all, it's affordable. Tried 3, bought one. Was told of good deals next week with the new stock by an often-unheard of male storekeeper in a female clothes store. Well, I'd definitely be back. Southaven is not having sales yet. And gg<5 is not really on sale. Well... that's all the GSS reports for now! I'm going across the causeway this sat... Shop more. Not much to say for their stuff... but at least there is one shoe store that fits me fine.

It's called Mixit. Nice place, decent looking shoes. Yay! I can't wait!