Thursday, August 31, 2006

Shopping and giving

I think I'm scared of being bored.

Been indulging myself in a bit of retail therapy lately... yes, I need the exercise. Well, pleased to report that I have not been spending excessively, though it gives me much pleasure to finally buy the things I want. Oh, and two lovely dresses I've not yet had chance to wear.

Was searching for scented body powder to apply on myself before I go out of the house... though I never had the habit of applying powder, but I just felt that it looked so luxurious, plus I never douse myself with perfume, so I would like that subtle scent veiling me. Analysed Crabtree & Evelyn's but decided they were too costly, went down to Body Shop - they had only one scented powder which I deemed unsuitable, and M&S had nice floral ones... finally, surprise surprise, found a vintagey looking Yardley one "Lily of the Valley" and grabbed that at Mustafa's. Must go there more often, found lovely childhood memories like Complan, plain cornflakes in jumbo sized boxes, Pears' soap, etc. There is even a self-tanner that I'd like to try, someday soon. I have been faithfully applying the Lily of the Valley powder, Darling says it smells like detergent though. Makes the skin softer actually!

And in the last weeks I've been indulging in face masks courtesy of the Face Shop,( really hydrates your skin after a tan) went for a horrid manicure at Hollywood Secrets, don't think I'd ever ever go there again; mmm went to obscure places to shop... but realised all I need is in the vicinity of where I work, so I don't really have to try so hard next time! Saw interesting toys at this shop selling miniatures, and today I bought a bag. Printed with chic anime-like characters ala LeSportsac. Roomy enough to be an overnighter. I really like this bag, made me so happy for the whole of today and perhaps the whole of tomorrow too as I'd be bringing it out! Retail therapy really works for me I think. Oh yes, and I went to City Square and Holiday Inn Plaza. Both Darling and me thought the trip so fruitful (shopping wise) that we decided to make a trip there sometime soon. Got contact lenses at about $12 off the usual price, nice wooden heels I can wear to work (I want to buy 10 pairs, its THAT comfy) a top, nice food, etc. The usual, at cheap deals and some things of course, you can't find locally. Makes me wanna hit bkk and all the other places.

Am really happy that I am able to 'treat' my friends and family... I've always been generous, and amazingly God has always blessed me with more! I won't hesitate to buy Crystal Jade bakery goodies for my family if I can, a whole big bag always finishes within 48 hours in my family. For as long as I can remember I will buy home mooncakes to be savored. I really believe in giving monetarily, especially to those in full-time and students who want to serve God. Perhaps I've been there before that is why I know how it's like. I will never forget the anonymous person who gave $600 during my Alpha Track course, to me as a graduation gift. Though I may not know him, I dearly hope God will reward him lots! It's amazing as I hear of stories like, my father's friend in heavy debt, still able to bless my family with a lovegift. This is truly giving till it hurts, giving from the heart. And my cell folks, they are really willing to give as well! I see members who will not hesitate to treat us to supper, or cover up the balance, simple things like that. Members who volunteer to teach underprivileged kids, members who offer to sponsor mission trips. Members who are drivers who always, always save me and the other gals a lot of money as they always send us back, so much until perhaps we have got used to it and don't assume otherwise. I'm amazed at this spirit of good cheer. Maybe in the real world, these people around me, still have loads of unselfishness leftover. I'm challenged to be like these!

I don't usually treat people - maybe I don't like to spend on food haha! But I do buy small cards, gifts and accessories for my pals. Thought that when I see something nice, they would like to have it too. =) Lately when deals come in, I make it a joyful point to treat those around me, a small drink or a meal with Darling. I've been so blessed by all of their generosity, it's the least I can do! And I feel great doing it!

I hit upon a novel idea of blessing Regis with a love gift as he goes full time for Singapore Youth For Christ this year. I smsed Mr BestFriend, among others, and was thrilled to hear his immediate reply "Yes, count me in! I can spare $XX for this lovegift". Am always grateful for his support. Ah, I do hope the love gift will be 'of value' to the recipient.

I guess it's hard for us to understand what the missionaries in... India need. Maybe what they really need is a bicycle to get around, or some chocolates they are craving after... Well, for Regis, this is something essential for Singaporeans daily. I do hope some close ones contribute as well. Though they do not know him, wouldn't it be simply wonderful to tell him, Hey, my cell members and boyfriend contributed this to you. Though you might not know them, they are concerned about your efforts in the poly ministry and want to help in this small way.

Any amount sure goes a long way in building God's kingdom, let's give n give with joy.