Thursday, January 11, 2007

All kinds of people

I like this quote, but I cannot find references to credit it to the first person who said it. Goes something like,

"Be magnanimous in victory, gracious in defeat."

I kept thinking about it and truly, this word magnanimous being put to action is really hard to find these days. Even doing something simple like a favor, we expect thanks, a treat maybe, at least kind words to justify that act. Then, I think that you are not doing a favor anymore. Sometimes I am like that too, especially when I am busy... but how nice it is, when people tell you after you thank them: "Hey, don't mention."

I thanked one of my client for re-investing in me recently. He even took the trouble to come all the way down to The Office to pass me the cheque, when he could have just told me to collect it from him at his convienience. And when I thanked him, he actually told me in return, Thank You, for the opportunity! A gush of warmth filled me as I read that sms.

Magnanimous and gracious.

To move forward, I often see several organizations and people doing the wrong thing. President Roosevelt said something like this, I am not sure this is what was meant but: If you do something, and it turns out to be right, you are moving two steps forward. If it turns out to be wrong, you are still moving a step forward. The mistake is when you do NOTHING.

And I guess NOTHING is what a lot of people do. What do you do with your free time? Nothing. How are you going to get what you want, be a good leader, or even achieve some form of success if we waste through life, not even bothering to pick up a newspaper that is in front of you for some education. Even some pathetic so-called believers, they have tons of excuses for their spiritual apathy. No time is one. But everyone is given 24 hours in a day, and if cell leaders can accomplish more than you in the same time frame, what is your excuse for not developing personally? Actually I find it hard to have compassion for people who keep complaining and do nothing. The many loser guys in The Office do that the whole day. Saying, they are not aware, they need more info, more time, more etc. Please. When most of the time all they do is surf the internet.

I went to a certain restaurant yesterday to book a table for Kie's birthday. Went there about 30 mins beforehand. The waiter I spoke to was pleasant enough, but he directed me to a lady who said curtly: "No, we are not able to reserve...etc" I just smiled and asked, "Why?" Instead of just walking away. It turned out that she thought I had actually called earlier (which I had not) and was saying she cannot find my name or something. When she realised her mistake, she immediately turned and found another lady to assist me, meanwhile menacingly hissing, "YOU (the 1st waiter) should have said so earlier, why you did not tell me." I so wanted to say, C'mon Lady, you could have asked me politely first before just saying NO, and if you had heard wrongly, don't blame others for your mistake. People's behaviour really shows them up and unfortunately, if you are unteachable, you can only move that far forward. That is why some people rise up to become great managers and leaders and others only so-so, or being stuck in a rut for years, complaining about their situation, but unwilling to move or make the changes necessary to succeed. So what do I have to change in life? Lots.

And I've realised that the best way to move my organization forward is to have the best idea for everyone. Left behind by your own attitude? I say, too bad. Maybe in another organization that values mundane task-doing, you might succeed. Don't blame The Office, your Manager who pep talks you everyday, or any other external factor...be prepared to be a loser guy forever.