Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Soulfood


After one night of blissful sleep in Melaka, puffy eyes from being an insomniac for 2 weeks - gone, complexion looks pinky and refreshed (no photoshop, only benefit! ) For those who've seen me with puffy eyes.. thus a miracle indeed!

It was a great time to go to Melaka this past weekend. I do feel refreshed.

This two months, I'm aiming not to go out so often.
Here's what's in store:
1. Make a Peranakan beaded slipper. 
After seeing the expensive overpriced ones there, we found a shop selling the templates. Mine will be a salmon pink hue background with a black flower pattern. I chose one of the simplest designs. Hope it's one project I can start and complete, I'm notorious for starting and not completing, my personality type enjoys the feeling of doing something new and interesting...

2. Get back to reading.
I've not read Christian books for some time, having perused most of the leadership and general help titles available. So... after reading 'Quest for Love' by Elisabeth Elliot, over the weekend - Clone's husband lent it to me, I am hooked. Went to this bookstore at Far East Plaza after having a haircut there...

I picked two books, "Let me be a woman" - Fang sister lent to me but it was some time back, and 'These strange ashes" about her first year as a missionary's wife. Many years ago when I was still young, I read and was inspired by Jim Elliot's missionary story, of how he 'got eaten up' by the savages... one of the most inspiring missionary stories I've read. He said this famous quote:
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. 

So I was personally very intrigued to read what his wife, Elisabeth, had wrote.

At the payment counter I spotted a sign stating that Membership is $10... Get 10% off immediately... and above it, 'Birthday month, 30% off'. Wah! What a good deal.

I bounced off to get more books, those books that were highly recommended to me but I never got around to buying it.

So I picked up Stasi Eldredge's 'Captivating', another woman's book. Couple of years back, Jelly mentioned that John Eldredge's 'Wild at Heart' really helped him, and although he didn't read much, this is one book he couldn't stop reading. So he did recommend me to read the female version though I didn't have the heart then. 

I also picked up another John Ortberg (My favorite author, all-time fave!) book, "God is Closer than you think."

And one bookmark and they gave a free devotional.

So...guess how much I paid for 
4 books?

$60!

Wahaha... am so happy!

And when I headed to Sephora, the lady assistant also helped me to save money. I usually have very low sales resistance, usually will buy what they recommend, like a guy... Walk up to them and say, I need this, I need that. Show it to me. I was looking for a blusher as well, but I was dissatisfied with those on sale - they had a good range, but it's hard to find what I was looking for. In the end she told me, 'buy what you need' after I told her I still had 'posietint' - it never finishes... which convinced me not to spend any more. In this worsening economic climate, people are really finding true joy in shopping because instead of wastage, we will think carefully, only buy 1 pair of shoes instead of 2, and feel so much happier wearing them, because we have spent carefully... I'm so glad for her advice. I think this is the first time I've met a cosmetic sales assistant to tell you to buy less instead of pushing some products you don't really need.

Next stop, perhaps I should try the $2 haircut in Melaka next time...