Tuesday, July 28, 2009

a few reasons to save up.

Mr A. said that he had deeper pockets this month because he got a bonus. It's awfully nice of him to share some of it with me. Exercise mats, pasta dinners and all. How about a new handphone too? (Blackberry, or some new-fangled qwerty device please...) Just kidding. It's amazing how we can find so many things we NEED to buy while living in (this) city. I already have plans (vague plans) as to what to do with my future money. I NEED a new hp. A digital camera. Clothes. Makeup. Skincare. More clothes. The perfect shade of lipstick.
Black photoframes for my postcards. I'm so glad I don't have to go to balding centres, slimming centres, rebond my hair or give money to both my parents.

But we have some ways to make our money stretch.

1. Eating at Mr A's Mom's diner.(FOC)
For dinner, I love the fact that I can eat white, fragrant rice at The Diner. And 'hebi hiam', and soups. A typical Cantonese dinner. Nice soups. I come from a postmodern family who is into organic whole foods. Never seen white rice for years, only brown, basmati, mixed-or short grain rice. Currently eating pita bread for breakfast and dinner and the occasional takeaways zi char. So I relish the traditional, sit at dining table and soup with the meal concept.
Mr A. said that's also a good way of spending time with her but I can't see how, she doesn't eat with us, only after.
Still, it saves us money. Which brings me on to point #2.

2. Eating on a budget.($30)
Limiting unnecessary restaurant dining experiences to celebratory excursions.
For two, we came up with a tight budget of $30 per meal dining out.
It's not that hard-pressed to find food here actually. Faves include the recent KimGary - a lamb chop meal which comes with drink, soup, bread, and the delectable french toast is less than $25. Portions big enough for two. We also like sukiyaki (introdued Mr A. to it and he loves it soooo much, unusual for a guy) which we can share at Ichiban's, paired with a few sides, and Chompchomp's selections. I somehow always like the cheery atmosphere of Chompchomp, no matter what, eating there will make my mood uplifted. Perhaps a fond childhood memory of the place, and the best bbq chicken wings ever paired with all the nice carrotcake, satay beehoon, oyster omelette.... slurps.

3. NOT going to shopping malls on weekends. (FOC)
I have given Vivocity and Raffles City too much of my money. Even if it's a worthy buy like books, inevitably I will need a Coffeebucks or a manicure or a new hairband, at these evil places. And end up spending $50? Bleah!
Places to go on weekends: Old Town Big Splash. Yums. ECP, Pasir Ris Park, Furniture shops - not counted as shopping because not really buying anything. Quite happy I live near the east, nothing much to do in the west muahaha!

4. No movie-watching on weekends. (Save $2.50+$2.50=$5!)
Adds up to great savings! Think about that! IF one month can save $10, one year is $120... just enough for a IKEA kitchen cupboard.

5. No buying any more tee-shirts which are black. ($30?)
Or tee-shirts for that matter. I have enough black, blue, gray ones (I need dark colors in my line of work)

6. Daytrip to JB on weekends (50% off)
Don't know how it's going to help us save money - maybe just on petrol. We are going to try this out. Means I have to break my 'no shopping centres on weekends' rule.

7. Planning ahead. (Priceless, I'm guessing savings of a few hundred per month)
From now on I'm going to write on a post-it pad about pre-empted purchases and 'need to spend on' things like facials and supplies of whatever product that is running out. Now that I also apply tinted moisturizer on my neck and decolletage area to minimize signs of aging, it can only last a month compared to 3 months', previously. My facewash also runs out real fast. One can last 1.5 months? Hmm.
Working it out before the paycheck is in the bank does help tremendously. I've been good so far... ... (I didn't forget to include my Thomas Sabo charms expenditure every month.)

Yea, that's all I can think of for now, Luckily, I can claim my taxi expenses which work out to around $200 - $400 on average per month, so I actually spend very little on transport a month, like about $60?

I miss Mr A. After a nice weekend out, the days apart seem too long. It's sick living in a country where we work so long hours (him, not me) - and having so many other activities - church commitments on clashing weekdays - that even though we both live a street apart (according to the postal code that is), meeting up on weekdays prove difficult.

Going home to nurse a nasty ulcer on the tongue, do my mat exercises and think about him.