Monday, August 03, 2009

flea mart shopaholic

When I was single, I really enjoyed it, the single phase of my life. Too young to fret about being on the shelf, and enough experience with men to know that good things come to those who wait. I had the luxury of sleeping till the sun was high in the sky, took jaunts to wherever I fancied during lazy weekends, like perhaps sipping tek tariks at prata shop whilst reading the Sunday Times, or going to JB on my own - I did that a couple of times, taking the public transport and once, even walked from 'holiday plaza' to 'the store'. It was a 2 hours' walk... and I will never do that again... too old for such nonsense.

But at a certain point in life you would want to share what you've learnt, what your thoughts are, to someone. Someone special, perhaps.

It's not true that women don't really need men the way men need women (like their mothers to feed them, iron their shirts and buy bedsheets and all that).
We both need each other.

==

The Boyfriend and I swore off boring weekend doings like watching a movie and walking around aimlessly in typical retail environments. But also being tired (I have to stand for long hours some days of the week in my job) we are not really keen to sweat it out and hike or bike during the precious weekends we spend together. So on Sunday, after a nice dimsum brunch in Geylang we headed to 'Zouk flea and easy'. It's our first time to the Zouk flea. I missed out on the Night Festival one last month, so I was verrrry excited to take a look, whee! I had such good buys that I couldn't stop laughing to myself. But as I'm having a humongous ulcer on my tongue (for one week and counting, bleah) I could only laugh a fake 'bwahaha...muahaha' to the amusement of The Boyfriend. Scored buys that I've been looking out for, a kitsch beribboned hairband for $10, 3 DVDs for $5 -one of them is my fave movie by Jean Pierre Jeunet 'the city of lost children' which I've been looking all over for and not able to find... ... I yippeed at the sight of the DVD and clutched it along with 2 other good ones. Two typewriter key rings for my ring collection, I got an 'A' for you-know-who and a 'backspace'. They're still available online at 'by invite only'. And while we were walking out, we spotted the prettiest peachy-petal colored, chanel-esque camellia slip-ons! It was the last one and... in my size. Fits perfectly and so comfortable that I immediately wore it while gushing at how pretty it looks. (My feet are picky and they blister often, so my shoes are often comfortable=boring.) Such a fulfilling day!

We also saw many 'ah-siah-kias' selling off their very nice, barely worn clothing. I spotted a powder pink dress with v-neck of sequins, a retro crimson dress with white trimmings which I would gladly buy, men's shoes for $25, even marc jacobs flats and stella mccartney pumps going cheap! Surprisingly there were quite a variety of men's clothes too. I shall stake out clothes next time... Right now, still happy with my current wardrobe selections. The flea had nice club music in a dimmed lighting atmosphere which added to the curious and exciting part of going to it.

I've realised that we're only so much happier anyways when we plan for our purchases, like 'this month I have a belt budget for ... one rope-y belt'...and when we do spot and purchase it, the satisfaction makes you purr for a day (and each time you wear it.)


Typewriter ring collection also available at
http://www.byinviteonly.info/store/new

Interesting clothes from the person who sold me the camellia slip-ons
http://www.lhly.blogspot.com/