Tuesday, July 13, 2010

a singapore postcard

The charms of our little island state abound throughout the world that so many people want to work here.

Yes! Somehow the rumor has spread that we're clean and safe. Actually, I don't think we're that safe but, well, maybe safer in terms of no robberies, although someone of bangladeshi descent stole my adidas vintage sneakers and someone of ah lian descent stole my converse slippers.

I now keep my expensive footwear in the house instead of in my recess area.

I receive job applicants from the most varied of places. French, Germans, even Moldavians. I actually didn't know this country still existed, silly me. Numerous Filippinos now disguising themselves with Chinese names. Yes, they apply with Chinese surnames in their emails. Numerous mainland Chinese with bad English, some hilariously funny. It seems everyone wants a piece of our 'burgeoning economy'.

And I also write postcards every week to people all over the world. Sometimes words fail me as I wonder how to fill up the tiny space on the back of the postcard with interesting insights and information.

I find that the one thing I like to write about my country -is the one thing that I love the most about my country.

And what do I love about Singapore?

Many people have written about how clean they've heard it is. (A reputation for being clean? Hmmm.)

I love the fact that we are so close by to neighboring countries.
Because I don't want to turn into a boring Singaporean, since I was in my late teens, I avowed to myself that I would travel as often as I could. Even with a low budget, I'd just make myself a nuisance to the unfortunate souls who knew me and bunk in with them. This was done to Melakan Chester and Melbournian Ange. Haha! Or, I didn't mind traveling solo and bunking solo also. The solo experience enabled me to chat for hours with any smelly backpacker from the European nations.

I'm not complaining about our little island state, how hard it is to get a flat for newlyweds - the process, I'm realizing, is truly scary. A roof over our heads is just a simple dream, one might say a basic need, even. But those "new roofs" are only able to be ready... 5 years from now. And, there is a less than 10% chance of getting them, ie 4000 people applying for 500 flats scenario. The scenario is the same for "new roofs" everywhere in the island. Bad.

Of course we might consider an "old roof" but the current VERY nice "old roofs", no one is selling. The other "quite nice" "old roofs" owners are asking for such a high price that it is quite ridiculous for newlyweds to buy. And don't forget that we are looking for a roof about 2 years in advance from other newlyweds.

The most scary impending scenario is if we delay this 'search', we might reach the profile of being unable to buy a flat because we are too 'rich'. In other words, may the 'rich' people look for a condo instead. But we are not that 'rich' to afford one! That kind of income bracket is the worst to have in Singapore!

Of course, it's a good problem right... too rich to live in gahmen apartments. Tsk.

Then again, there's not much choices once you think about it. Every one here is following some kind of internal code in the roof over our heads thinking. Since wait so long for a flat, buy a bigger one, 4 room or 5 room. Plan to sell the flat, 'upgrade' in about 5 years' time. To a condo. Then a bigger condo. Or buy another flat for investment. So forth.

I wonder if I go against this flow of thought what my repercussions would be? End up in a lousy home, homeless, or scarily living with my parents till I'm wrinkly...Maybe that's why in those Mandarin local dramas they go for rich doctor chaps who already live in fantastic mansions.

Actually, this ideal is not realistic cuz the rich doctor chaps are usually quite senior, and they live in small condos. The big mansions belong to the really senior ones. LOL...

Patriotic or no, most Singaporeans enjoy our national day by spending it somewhere else, same idea as me, in a nearby country. Where one weekend is cheaper, food is better, place less crowded, and more relaxing. Since we're so nearby other asian countries plus our currency makes it worth the while, let's travel more and forget about the housing woes that beguile us.