Friday, November 19, 2010

quiet times

I bought two more Parker pens.

They are gorgeously sitting in their boxes. Somehow the feel of using a solid pen to write is fantastic, compared to using the normal plastic pens. I never knew I would love pens, is it a guy's thing? Anyway they cost less than a ladies' blouse...so, justified.


So pretty and so shiny! I guess I like writing so it's a matter of progression to like pens too. The Uncle was quite happy to see a young girl like me liking such old-school things and happily chatted to me about the time when there was a tri-pen, the pen could pop out pencil, red ink, and normal ink nib. I saw some calligraphy pens for sale as well (Now where can find!) and remember fondly my Mom who used to learn calligraphy in school and also wrote some calligraphy art before. We are all very 'English' in this sense... tea with milk... calligraphy and 'quink ink'... I still remember the 'brother' typewriter!!! And the Uncle volunteered to ask his other Uncle suppliers whether they know of the Parker Jotter pencil still for sale... Wowee! The good thing about old school people is that they bother to help. I mean, without asking, he knows the pencil is reminiscent of some fond memory to me. Sentimental value. And he volunteered to help me ask around when he could be selfish and pretend dunno. I noticed the hawkers there are also the same. When people ask for directions to other food stalls (Old Airport is huge) they really bother to give specific directions and lead you along your way. A community spirit we can all learn from!

The scrapbook project for Baby S is done... will upload and show photos over the weekend!
There are gazillion things for me to do at home, now that I'm ever spending more time with myself... I don't know how people can be bored with their own time at home, there's so many things to complete. I gave one of my Coach bags a wash last night! After accompanying me on many over-the-sea trips and whatnot, it starts to have this 'musty' smell. Funny cause the other bags does not have it, only this one, despite being kept together. I sunned it but it still dun smell good. Wanted to bring it to professional bag cleaning...wayyyyyyy expensive. Around $50 for a small Coach and not even 'so' branded in my opinion to warrant the amount. If I had $50 I will wash my self rather than my bags... so I just washed it with shampoo, olive oil shampoo from Korea, then a sea salt scrub...then about 2 hours in front of the TV blow drying it. Very free right... but it seems to look nice (a bit of the leather 'red' color came out, but minimal) and new! Saved $50. Can put it towards the lambskin brown bag which I'm sure will need a wash in a few months and I don't dare wash and dry such a big bag. Coach is made of canvas anyways, with leather trimmings, and I've had it for a while now.

I'm grateful for the 'quiet times' phase in my life which I'm having now. The upside is that I have a clean bag and managed to make many pretty presents for people in my life I treasure. Here's what I usually do with my free time...

1. Read a book (novel) + cheese + wine... luxurious! (A small bottle of wine for one can be purchased at most Cold Storage). I do spend a lot on books as I read very fast. One book can be read in a day or so.

2. Wash things while in the bath. My scarf, delicates, red-color clothes... Now that I have high maintenance hair, I need to wait some time for the hair masks, conditioners, etc to be left in my hair, no choice. So bored while waiting. So it started off as just washing a few items. Now I'm a washaholic!

3. Write. I just need to write a page everyday. It keeps me grounded and less likely to rant off on things. Less upset as well. And now that I have shiny new pens...

4. Walk for one hour. Since I won't/can't run, walking is the next best activity. I usually take the road via Kensington to Serangoon Gardens and I always have an aim, like to buy frolick, or the nice bread sold in the mornings... yea.

5. Scrapbooking. But I seem to do it really fast. I really like to cut things... Cut cut cut!