Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Me, voyeur...or, why do all the office girls look the same...

Have picked up a new habit after working nearly 6 weeks at my job. It's called 'reading in the train'. Quite self-explanatory I guess! I tend to get so bored with the silence that I'm considering getting an MP3 player to accompany my newfound hobby...

I discovered that reading while standing up helps me to 'digest' better too, perhaps my brain is more active in the morning (yea...) or it just works better upright. Hum.

Voyeuristic habits aside, almost everyone reads on the morning train nowadays... I've spotted paperbacks, the ever popular free newspapers, bibles, training manuals... ... and the numbero uno, most popular book I've spotted ...*drumroll*, Amazingly, it's still the *standing ovation* ... The Purpose Driven Life! Yes! It's true! A short poll conducted by Rachelmedia has found out that The Purpose Driven Life is the best-read book on the North-South train line. Everyone, everyone, everyone is reading this book... Makes me want to read mine all over again. =) It's so incredible, I spotted 2 today morning and if my name was Rick Warren I would be so so thrilled that increasingly in Singapore, people are leading more fufilling lives... thumbs up for the most engaging read on the train!

Its a peculiar fact that some books sell well but are not read (Incidentally, the Holy bible is a bestseller worldwide... can't say that I've read ALL the bibles I've purchased tho'!)... But hey, living proof that The Purpose Driven Life is well-read... just makes my day 'cuz I'm a fan of the book, too...

I'm glad for this chance at observing human nature/behavior. The learning curve is high when the application of this knowledge is imperative to me growing in my character and behavioral patterns. However, this leads to me being, at times, highly critical of other's actions and natural instincts. If I was more empowered I'd just feel like hollering at some(most) of the inconsiderate people...the 'ugly singaporeans'... overbearing at times, I can be thankful that I'm not like them (hopefully), at least...


So as to why all the office girls look the same, well, I haven't found an answer to that yet. But I'm sure I will, soon. =)