Friday, December 31, 2004

Synchronized Prayer at 11 PM for the Tsunami Victims

Was forwarded an sms about a synchronized prayer at 11pm today for the Tsunami victims. So I prayed.

Dear God. Grant those survivors warmth from the cold, strength to live for one more day, hope that they will see tomorrow. For the injured, that they will gain strength to recover and face the future. For the homeless and devastated, I pray that they can receive proper funding and start rebuilding their lives and dreams. Bless those in the rescue efforts, the doctors, aid workers, volunteers, soldiers and reporters. Those with loss of families and loved ones, that they will not blame You but instead trust in You for their future. I pray for a quick relief to come to those stranded, those who cry out for help, that help will come to them quickly. For those who have no one left, that they will know there is a God who cares for them. And for miracles to happen, somehow.

Amen.

Am so freezing cold here now, heard from Mum that usually after earthquakes the winds are strong drafts. Shuddering despite a warm house and long sleeves, I fail to imagine what it is like for those in their bathing suits, clinging on to a piece of driftwood for survival. Had dinner with Andy and, like him, although we are not physically affected by the disaster, it strikes a chord in me, something like empathy, something I feel very strongly about. Which I've not felt before, not for a group of people I can't possibly identify myself with. Called the YMCA today, was told they had enough volunteers. Well I was ready to offer my services, even doing a small thing like packing relief goods or manning the phone. I guess to me, it would be very fufilling. Was reading the international news and Thailand needs forensic people to fly over to identify every single one of the dead; through DNA sampling. It is crazy, even Andy said it was nearly impossible to accomplish. But their ideal is noble, in the least. Saw NBC news photos of the dead victims' faces photographed and pasted on the hospital wall last night. One of which stayed imprinted in my mind clearly: A woman in a red bathing suit, her face was so puffed up and bruised it was hard to tell her age or her nationality. On her face and her chest, there were several welts and deep gashes, it looked as though there were many debris smashed and dragged across her, leaving harsh, wide open tears. Had she lived, she would have been severely disfigured.

I am blessed, that I have a roof over my head, I have health, I have a family and friends around. That I'll live to see 2005. This tragedy did not just happen to them. It happened to us. It happened as a painful reminder to all of us that life is fragile.

It's not how the way you died that matters, but how the way your life was lived.