Sunday, January 16, 2005

Preface to RESTART:: About the artist/creator

"All art is at once surface and symbol. Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril.
Those who read the symbol do so at their peril. It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors.
Diversity of opinion about a work of art shows that the work is new, complex, and vital.
When critics disagree the artist is in accord with himself. We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
All art is quite useless. "

-Oscar Wilde, "The Picture of Dorian Gray".

http://www.hoboes.com/html/FireBlade/Wilde/dorian/

Am quite inspired by what Wilde wrote in this preface, so I made it mine. It sums up nicely what I think but what I never dared express in words. The things I create, poems, songs, stories, abstract drawings: all reveal a part of my soul. Yet, it conceals what I wish to conceal, and expresses only the basic elements of what is felt at the surface; painting a picture that is startlingly innocent to a reader's eyes yet imbued with nuances of stirrings from within the psyche.

I guess I must say more about my short story :RESTART, here, before I actually forget the true meaning of what is being unsaid. Yes, I tend to be forgetful. That's why I can lead a (relatively) happy life. It's not so much as a parody abot technology as I'd like to believe, at its core, it is basically a love story - albeit a bittersweet one. Yea I always make the faux pas of having the dramatic element of someone dying in all my stories, guess I'm still pretty inexperienced to weave a tale with less melodrama so it'll have to do for now. RESTART... I wrote it from an obviously male point of view, the female - Kazumi having INFJ qualities and the guy INTP... hopefully it seems that way... I wanted to convey the dreamlike, misty feeling one gets while thinking of something before sleeping, and actually imagining it while in a state of semi-conscous, so that the line between illusion and reality is merged and it actually happened - in fantasy. Also, for me I'm concerned about the detached relationships of human beings. Why they don't spend quality time with each other anymore and why when I do, tongues start wagging. Why people don't tell people real things that they feel for each other. Like a simple - I care for you; it doesn't have to be cringed at when it is a sincere expression of the intimacy you share. Like all my short stories (not many!), this one is semi-autobiographical, and it holds a special significance for me, why I chose a pseudo-japanese-english context; and I did fold cranes too, but I did not make it past the 500+ mark. It's sort of a new realm for me with sci-fi and tech into it, I do like this story actually. It symbolizes hope, and the stuff that dreams are made of, I don't want to wake up and find it shattered. =)