Friday, April 15, 2005

My own makansutra

I dreamt of Shiner and Mr Foo yesterday, we were on the train...it's so strange, this is the 2nd night in a row. Perhaps I'm just subconsciously nervous that I'm going to watch a musical with them. Nothing much right... but I respect Mr Foo so much as a mentor, and also it's kinda weird going out with them although we are all in our 20s. But yea, I shall try my best to have fun, yet remaining poised, smiling, etc...I'll try not to laugh too loudly at the funny bits and thank them graciously for a wonderful time which I know we will have. Good company is important. At least to me.

Hit town yesterday and discovered oh yes, they were finally selling my 'coveted' bag which I've been hankering for since... mid last year when Ai told me they retail it locally. Wishing that my salary comes quick, yes, come come...before it becomes 'sold out' then I'd be quite sad. Used to write down every single thing I bought last year when I was working, because I'm so afraid I would overspend... but it actually takes the joy out of shopping for me. It's my hard earned money and I don't have to be so worried about how I actually spend it... but I tend to make some spur of the moment purchases which I tend to regret. So this time, no overdoing - writing down everything... but I won't spend till I've got nothing to save either.

Time actually flies quite fast for me at work, I don't have to be a clock-watcher like in my previous co. Perhaps I do dread admininistrative work despite being rather efficient at it. So here I'm just sailing... happily... plus good food too. Good food helps. So far I've eaten:

  • 2 'Pappa roti'-s - Mouth-watering smell, it's really hot and piping-ly good... but if brought home turns oily... yea so must eat on the spot. I guess that's the same for most foods...
  • Chew Kee soya sauce chicken noodle/Chiew Kee soya sauce chicken noodle, at road facing Chinatown Point - One is 'fake', the one with the better location actually. I remember eating this with Bern and gang while playing 'shi zi lu kou' at polys life action day a year back. The authentic one, the taste is still the same. Can't really describe it but it's one to be remembered and a craving will develop... 'Cuz after so long I still remember the same taste and to look for the shop...
  • Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa found at Hong Lim - It's similar to the Katong types but less coconut, a lighter and more Chinese-y taste. Even comes in the 'chicken bowls', Only $2 as featured on some Channel U show... I much prefer this taste to the Katong ones actually, of which I've tried all the stalls but one.
  • Ah Heng's Chicken curry beehoon mee, Hong Lim... there's also two stalls, both claim to be authentic but one has the longer queue probably because of the location... Well, the one I had was very generous with large portions of chicken and fishcake...the curry was nice, a bit too spicy I felt, but I do lyk it hot. Also has a unique taste, something to want to eat again... Slurp...
  • Ham chee pengs, Hong Lim... I can never find in sg the ones I used to eat, with sweet glutinous rice in the middle... this shop doesn't have them as well. Nothing much about the other types they sell, I just felt that the oil is fresh and after eating did not have the sickly -oily feeling which is expected for this type of food.

More food will be tried and tested by ... me! It keeps me happy actually, to have such a variety. And I haven't even been to the biggie one at Smith street... People's park food centre is closed so I will thoroughly explore Hong Lim for now. It's been rewarding!