Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Taciturn thoughts

'...what we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence.'
(Wittgenstein - Tractatus, 1961)



Is silence the absence of sound, an empty receptacle - Is it possible to experience total sensory deprivation, and still, live?

A silent understanding

The right to remain silent

A respectful one minute silence

Is it ever right for words to remain unspoken when it should?

In a culture where silence is a rare commodity, sometimes a quiet comprehension of situations beheld in the way where only a recognition can come about, without the use of words.

Some feelings, some thoughts are undefinable - when spoken or written about, they seem trivialised somehow by the usage of language that fails to leave an accurate impression or definition of what is within. Too many words/phrases have become too cliched - "Take Care"; "I will miss you when you're gone" ;"I love you"; "Shalom"... When spoken without meaning these words fail to convey sincerity, and the implications of saying them aloud.

Once again I ask myself about the integrity of my actions, and my words, and how perspectives are changed. Being influential, I sometimes scarily rationalise that my actions and words are not decitful in themselves, and manage to convince myself so. And others, too, are convicted. I want to see change take place... I want more sincerity in words spoken between friends.

Sometimes I am too guarded, I fail to realise the importance of what is left unsaid. And perhaps, left unsaid for too long, these precious words will never come, until it is too late.

Or worse, forgotten.

Unremembered - that you ever felt like that, that all you wanted was to tell him you are touched because of his concern, how pleased you are that he always looks out for you, that you remember the small sweet actions he does.

Sometime later, you will forget, and perhaps treat it as inconsequential - because things that are not remembered, that are not spoken and recorded, disappears into the sea of nothingness - washed away by a hundred other pressing thoughts that rush the mind and disrupts the senses.

Yet...sometimes, we just forget to say it. Or perhaps, we prefer silence.