Thursday, July 14, 2005

NKF scandal : "Commercial relationship" and lack of transparency

With slight excitement I realise that at the centre of the NKF controversy surrounding its' CEO, Mr T T Durai, and his lack of openness regarding some bathroom fixtures and fleet of cars, certain misdemeanors on his side do pertain to my (former) interests.

After all, I was employed at ProtonWeb Solutions - The company owned by Matilda Chua, sister of Elizabeth who was my former superior. Even though I only worked at the place - formerly Cantonment Road, now shifted to Temasek Boulevard - for three months or so, it was enough. Although I was working in a mostly christian environment, Matilda was a staunch Catholic and the rest were Christians from various denominations, I thought that the working experience there was pretty bad, with the usual office politicking and nitpicking about little details that totally irked me. At first, it did not bother me - I did not see the need for me to get involved in the company's dealings as I was only a contract staff, filling in the time for some much needed cash so that I could go on a holiday. However, being a small company, with most of its Chennai engineers situated at the NKF site, I had to handle some telemarketing accounts, notably the ABN-AMRO Moneyline account. It was definitely an environment with high stress levels as I had to handle customer's complaints, liase with the bank, and the Manager in India had to give me a daily update. I thought that it was a very underpaid job for the amount of work I did. Even if they offered me like 2K I wouldn't go back, ever.

But all in all it was a learning, working experience for me to be there with them. I wonder how my ex-colleagues are coping with the scandal. I'm sure they will lose business as a result. Or perhaps the reverse makes more sense - free publicity, unheard of before, in the telemarketing industry. Perhaps now people will remember their name more than Premas (It's the company that answers your call when you are trapped in the lift, haha...) or some other bigshots with funny names.

I do have some doubts about the media and it's inaccurate representations now, because honestly, GlobalNetRelations has ceased operating although it's name is still registered to Matilda. I want to speak up for her, not because I like her, or I'm 'benefitting' in any way, but I really think that she has been misrepresented - the article alludes to some sort of sneakery going on between her and Durai, which I can foresee does not do any good to her family or business relations. All in all, Matilda is really young, in her 30s with a newborn child, and I admire her competence for aggressively obtaining business, whether though personal contacts or not, I felt that all her liasings were above reproach.

It's strange as I was thinking yesterday about being ethical, and I heard that a certain former alliance of mine had set up a company, not too long ago. We were friends once, and I did share to him my (achievable) dream of opening a small apparel retail shop in Singapore, one day soon. He too, told me about the entrupreneurial plans he had, and even suggested we form a partnership. I was skeptical of his 'far-flung' words as I always thought he was too sure of himself, too over confident. Now, I found out that he has set up a business which looks like it's doing well. However, I question the ethicality (if there is such a word) of his doings.

I know his character well, this guy is someone who has an inflated opinion of himself - I do sound harsh here, I'm not that critical usually, but he has really rubbed me the wrong way with many of his deeds which would make him really squirm if it comes to daylight. Being unrepentant is one thing, but constantly being dubious, I cannot stand. And, he is both. Plus also being a 'fair-weather' friend, urgh! I'm glad I'm no longer talking to him, it would be hazardous to my general well-being.

His company's website was like a self-promo of the man, how great he is, and all the achievements listed there proudly. Oh yes, plus his girlfriend's image, cute-ly placed at strategic points to further push the products, the poor girl. I, for one, know that some of his claims are highly exaggerated, like he claims he 'managed the account for a top advertising firm in singapore'; which I know for a fact that that was his attachment job in the polytechnic!!! It's really... disgusting to say the least... and this gives a false impression of how trustworthy his character is, which in reality, is bollocks.

I wonder how some people can convince themselves to believe in an untrue reality, one which is cooked up by themselves.

It is often said that it's the small things that determine your character, and through this, I realise how important it is to represent things authentically. Why hide the truth when there is nothing to be ashamed of? Why tell people things that you need to retract later? No one will believe it, sooner or later. Good advice often falls on deaf ears and I shall highlight his lack of integrity to the people I know who can chide him, even though it may be a waste of my precious resources on my part.


And with companies under the spotlight at the moment for 'lack of transparency', I fear his ego might just lead him to the road of destruction.