Monday, August 29, 2005

REAL Run and Divine Encounters

"The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said."

- Peter Drucker, in "Becoming a Person of Influence" quoted by John C. Maxwell.

Whew! The weekend was a tiring albeit definitely fulfilling one. Did many things I would not normally have done - Like waking up at five on a Sunday morning, talking to sweating, panting strangers... Changing in a guy's room(Evidently I was displaced, and worried too at what the beloved mum would say)...Went to Kai's 21st birthday... Hee. All in a day of my exciting life, aye! So, in the most coherent way I can, I'd try to remember all the really good stuff that has been happening. God has always answered my 'little prayer', weekly, (this week was no exception) and I'm keeping track of His promises to be fulfilled.

REAL Run. First time for me! As a 'spectator', haha. Was pleasantly surprised when one of Jelly's friends, this doctor-to-be, sincerely thought I completed the race as well. Immediately gave him the time of the day plus 10 points! Tried hard not to be too 'overwhelming', i.e. over friendly in the SALTing way, but he was a really really nice person. And said one thing that made me sit up and think. I asked him why the choice of profession. He said, "To make the difference between life and death". Was speechless. Deep thoughts.

After the whole Sentosa journey, kind of rushed to get to Kai's house for the birthday celebration, so I trooped to Shiner's place, nervously, as what would Shiner's mum say? Although I'm quite an auntie-killer, but I don't think any mum would be pleased to see her baobei son with...me, just the two of us? And somemore, I was wearing this killer beach attire, totally indecent for middle-aged women to view. Alone in the house? Changing and, bathing, somemore? Eee. Shiner didn't seem perturbed as though it was a common thing for him to bring girls home all the time... Well, nothing much happened, Mum came home from church, me already changed and happily munching on a curry puff. Mum's the quiet type and didn't shoot me daggers or quizzical looks saying what are you doing to my son alone in the house on a Sunday afternoon... Whew, I tried to salvage eh, his integrity by sending brainwaves to her that I was totally disinterested in him... arh...I'm sure she'd ask him though... hur hur.

Last week was chock-ful of divine encounters to say the least, starting from Sunday's serving at Carepoint where God showed me someone to pray for, and I was taken aback as the person at the altar was the person in my vision. I prayed for her unhesitatingly. On Tuesday, dragged my feet to a Countrybank interview, a job which I knew I would reject (They did want me though - have to pray for the right doors to be opened, then.) Met a Trinitarian I could give encouragement to. On Wednesday, met another Trinitarian who was a new friend, too. On Friday, while at Bishan sipping coffee, bumped into my insurance agent, and asked him to the Action! cell on Saturday. On Saturday, met Des who just accepted Christ like 2 weeks ago 'cuz when I met him 3 weeks ago, he was still an 'oikos'. Connected him with Shiner, hope he integrates into the cell. On Sunday, made two oikos while I was 'guardian of 'my running friends' bags', they happily and trustingly deposited their valuables with me. I think I was perching on a strategic place, and I looked 'honest and friendly'? After the run, managed to get one oikos' contact with an invitation to the night cycling event, too! Glad I could put SALTing into practice, with a great testimony to share to my cell folks.

Looking back at the week, it's simply amazing, people might think that I'm awfully anointed - I know I'm not, I just am terribly prayerful lately, since I do have a lot of spare time on my hands. And God has met some of my personal agendas too, I got to know some of my cell mates better, something I wanted to do for some time, and deepened some new friendships as well. Realised that bonds are forged with time, and with the sharing of similar experiences.

Leading a cell for me in this season has been relatively smooth-sailing. Previously, it was almost traumatic. I'm glad to know that Jelly, too, has been through some rough-sailing times in ministry. Same boat, different storm. Trying to be a better listener, which makes a difference in my life. Shared with Jelly that I was not like that in the recent past, perhaps I've learned to take an interest in others, perhaps I was too preoccupied with other preoccupations. Lately, learnt(from Jelly, he's a natural at this) to just put all those aside and to focus on an individual, for the few, precious moments. I do enjoy dialouging with this guy!

Through understanding them, I understand more of myself, too.

Categories: , ,