Tuesday, September 13, 2005

At the AHM

Being at the AHM last Sunday was a fun experience for me. After 'attending' runs, I begin to understand why running is exhilarating for these guys! Yet, I don't suppose I can ever run the distance - 21 km... Not even 12 km. Just watching all the people managing to complete the run and whizz past the finish line...wow. And I noticed a few couples (which means the girl can run really fast) running hand-in-hand. Told Gee that if I was there, the guy had to drag me instead of ... hand-in-hand, haha! It was fun documenting my journey and taking photos.

There was one photo that Gee helped 3 strangers to take - ironically, they looked like what I imagined my 3 guys to be in 20 plus years' time. I cannot imagine in AHM 2025, they are still running, and I am still taking photos. What will be all be like then? Am I even here, in Singapore? And how would the 'route' change, in the future...? I'm sure lots.

I think it was a thrill 'cuz it was my first time spectatoring at the AHM and I had company so it wasn't a long wait at all, in fact I hardly waited... We were supposed to wait at the monument- cenotaph, but feeling restless and wanting to see the runners running, we walked to the start line at the Esplanade bridge - it was still dark, a rare sight to see the roads undecorated with cars and the runners past the One Fullerton, and then we boarded the coach for 'supporters of the race at SRC... Which took us to ECP and Fort Road and the places, to see them running... We were the only two people in the bus which made us feel so much like VIPs on that day! Saw interesting heaps of white cups which was once filled with gatorade, drank and thrown by the runners alongside the various points. The bus took us back to the finish line near the Padang and by then, the first guy had already came in! Managed to see the second womens' veteran and the rest... So interesting that the Minister of Defence took part too. =)

It was a good way to spend a Sunday morning, just soaking in the atmosphere. Gee and me agreed that in the future, if ever, our spouses were runners, we would definitely go down to support them. Toting our babies and all. Hee... Sheepy was telling me not to be there so early, I could go down later at a not so unearthly hour, but I indignantly replied that if I wanted to support, I'd support all the way. From the Start line, to the finish. Managed to see all of them go past the Finish line, and snapped them too. Except Jelly, 'cuz I was running after Shiner... Had a great photo of Sheepy running to the Finish! A lanky, orange, blur which looked so nice! At least to the photographer. And the best shot of Sheepy offering me ice cream. It was impromptu- and posed. Next up, making collages, my new favorite pasttime. I was beaming inside when I saw that Shiner put up the photos as his desktop wallpaper.

I want to go to the biathlon next... =)