Thursday, September 08, 2005

Beyond age, beyond color, beyond conditions

I seem to know, or to make friends with people from all walks of life. And only recently I've realised that this is not the norm for most people - they, make friends with people like their own kind. Of course, collegiates definitely have more friends in the category of a similar education level as them, as their path of education defines the social circle they create for themselves unwittingly. But few dare to venture into other social circles - why not, for friendster states that 'every other person is connected to each other by only 6 levels of separation'.

It's not ever possible to define how much of our lives we create. Some choices, we make. Others are deemed by circumstances or by genetics - how athletically inclined we are, defined by predisposed bone structure and body mass. How intelligent depends on how young our mothers were when they were with us, and how our forebears fared in the SATs of their time, and a smooth entry into the world, not being preemies, not having any defects in the time of our creation. Yet, those of us elite, being more capable than others, tend to look down on those we deem as more inferior than us. It's always the handsome hunk that turns out to be a scumbag because the way the world views beauty as superior(thus giving him the ability to misuse it) - then, he can blame it on the times in which he is born in, too. It's how we treat those below our level, those incapable of helping themselves, that shows our character, isn't it? I cannot imagine that if I looked like those petite, helpless girls with big, pleading eyes, how would people look upon me.

I've distinctly felt people treat me very differently when they think I am just another- diploma graduate; compared to when they realise I do have a slightly above average degree at my age. Then, I can see the change in their eyes, almost as if I'm being promoted to a higher social level in their horizon. (That is why I often neglect to tell people about my education unless they probe, haha) I don't know what contributes to this change of attitude, perhaps the realisation that I am better educated than them, thus above their league, or maybe they respect me more 'cuz I am thus perceived to be more intelligent now that I am degree-educated. I do not believe their motivation for the change in attitude is superficial, more likely it stems from what we have been ingrained to believe, that smarter is better, intelligence is highly regarded. I always blow their mind when I say that I do not mind an O' level grad. as a potential better half. It's sort of hilarious to see their disbelieving looks - I guess mainly to the notion that O'level grads now are far and few between, but I do know of a few, some that could make good husbands despite the 'gap' in education. If I only had an O-level education, people would not laugh at me, for aiming to get someone degree educatied, for that is supposed to be good...Then, should I look down on myself for being lowly educated? Of course I believe too that everyone can excel beyond his limitations and everyone should be as highly educated as possible, but that is another matter in itself.

I still have a lot to learn in this area, of accepting beyond social norms, accepting people in cell, to see beyond color, beyond culture. Kie shared to me what Heng said, that his love(for a woman) transcends beyond age and beyond color. For Kie, he cannot accept that. Maybe we are all narrow minded. Help me to see people the way they ought to be seen.

Every time I meet Markos I get introspective, not least because we are instrinsically different from each other. Polar opposites. and we get along so well. (Then the constant clashings with Travis is strange 'cuz we are opposites, too.) I may be wrong, but his life seems to be planned out for him the moment he was born. Never having to struggle much, always steady, a secure life and a stable family, born with extremely good mental faculties, well-to-do, low-profile, generally well-liked by everyone. I can't say for sure this kind of life does not appeal to me, yet I'm 'not-the-type' to relish it. I might change my mind, 'cuz it hasn't been made, yet. Just as well that my life is generally unpredictable.

I hope that when I am older, I will be someone that people look up to, not because of my education, or the income I bring in, or the ministry level I am at, or the way my life has been so far. I just hope they respect me for me. And I will try, each time I meet someone new, not to find out about their education paths, or how many medals they have won, or how high their IQ is, or how many credit cards they have(haha!) or ... all those many superficial things, but just to find out about them, and try to understand the person they are, social norms aside. Away with the 6 levels, I only want one.