Monday, September 05, 2005

Shiner

"Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light."- Helen Keller

Simply titled, Shiner.

Much like his namesake, he never fails to lift up my spirits. That's why I like to see him so often, he reminds me of how I should take things easy, view life's obstacles optimistically. He believes it won't rain; though the weather forecast says it will. And somehow I just find myself wanting to believe it, too. And when I'm talking to him, I become more animated, I laugh more, I notice more positive things. This is one guy that everyone wants to introduce girls too! (Next up: Kie's sister!) I'm overly protective of that, though...him being so innocent, 'never-been-kissed'...and I will feel a tinge of sadness definitely, 'releasing' him after my unextreme makeover is fufilled.

In this friendship, I will not forget being at the bus stops for obscene amounts of time waiting forever for the bus to come, but at the same time, gaining an insight into each other's perspectives as we communicate our thoughts and chatter away merrily like schoolkids, poking fun and screaming hysterics at each other.

I have to say that it's the geographical location that brings us together, in this friendship... Sudden feelings of acute loneliness when Shiner moved to hall and the reality of travelling alone...well, sucks pretty bad. It's always like that, certain things that change, that cannot be helped, and you are left wondering what actually happened that made it like this, when there was, just a minor alteration to schedules that caught you unaware. Sure, we still meet pretty often- and I do depend on him for some support, it's always more fun with him around, in birthday bashes and 'running outings', which we had a few, recently.

I do hope this friendship lasts, that it can last beyond years. I hope that is an achievable objective.

Before I forget, I will remember these dear memories:

Everytime after service, anxiously waiting for the bus to take us home, and then, (because of the dark, ulu locale which I stay at), he will tell me to sms him when I'm back...And when I don't, sometimes forgetting, he will sms me to confirm I'm not spirited away. That's just so sincere and thoughtful...I'm confident that if I don't reply, he will send search parties for me... I appreciate it so so much.

The times I'm exasperated with him for being 'brur brur', for not being initiating enough, for just being a punching bag 'cuz I get irritated for no valid reasons with people and I'd just launch into an attack for several minutes... He just takes it in his stride and instead of reacting, shows concern for my situation, or agrees with me that he is stupid...I just melt and relent and ... tell myself to be not so mean, until the next time...

His enthusiasm which encourages me so much, his interested responses in my small happy smses about the usually happy things that happens(sometimes sad, can't help it), makes me look out for interesting things in my life, too...And I do feel that he is supporting me in looking for such!

The incident where I was really upset about work and about Izac and he just offered to meet me, even though it was late and there was nothing I could do about it... I remembered that, we were sitting at a badminton playing area... I just wanted some emotional support I guess. Not very close then also, but felt that he was someone trustworthy I could talk to.

And, him encouraging me to get to know someone better, setting me up, encouraging me to see Mr X's good points, Mr Y's striking features, Mr Z's blah blah... although my matchmaking attempts for him were not so successful, I'm sure there will be many more opportunities hee.

And the way he always try to pay for my bus fare, food, drink, snack...even though he is not rich, still like this...woo! I want to hug him! I didn't take it for granted! I noticed... =) and it's so endearing!

And he changed his phone plan to free incoming for me... I know, not 'especially' for me, but I did generate a $100+ bill last month, lucky he didn't ask me to pay half, haha! I think the smses too...costs a bomb. Even Jelly thinks I'm constantly on the phone with Shiner. Which is...not really true la, it's because lately we seldom meet, but still need the same amount of quality time, so tend to talk more and also because I want to hear about his activities but I always end up chirping again...

He thinks he is not handsome, because he says he is too thin... hey but in my worldview, he's tops! Where else can you find such a wonderful individual...with a really solid character too. He always says he is not intelligent because he only has a poly dip... but he is working his way to a teaching degree...and intelligence is not measured by how many degrees you get, or how high is your IQ...at least to me. He always says he doesn't like being so quiet, 'too quiet' and too shy...But his sunshine smile and sporty nature endears him to many, and his listening skills is that of an excellent leader. A really humble guy... who does not hesitate to sincerely tell me I'm pretty and intelligent in one sentence without sounding contrived or flattering, that is just the way he is.

I imagine it must have been hard for him, growing up... he has never uttered a word about his childhood or his past experiences, which must be really difficult; but instead of resigning himself to it, or to just be a mediocre individual, these experiences has built his character and really shaped him, to be someone I respect. He never asks for anything in return, but just does things willingly and happily. I salute Shiner, for being a friend to me, for being who he is. Someone that brings out the best in me and adds a dose of badly needed sunshine into my life!