Thursday, December 29, 2005

One thing I'm really thankful for this year

Covenantal friendships.


In cell, we shared about "What is/are the best thing/s that happened to you this year?"

I choked up when some of my members replied sincerely that the best thing that happened to them this year, was joining this cell.

And that statement, for me, is enough to encourage me to continue being a cell leader.

Yes, there are many times when I wanted to give up. When I was sick of all the politics and the co-ordination. When I felt that serving in certain areas had no impact. When you see loved ones wandering away from the faith, and becoming disillusioned. When I felt that I had no support, or that no one really understands what I'm facing.

But knowing that someone out there thinks that the best thing that happened to them this year was joining this cell, I'm really blown away.

Touched by God's hand again, knowing that He has a plan for my ministry even though sometimes things seem futile.

You know, that was the best thing that happened to me this year, too.

I'm pleasantly surprised to find out that covenantal friendships still exist today. It's strange, how Travis and Shiner became close to me. Perhaps, we were looking for someone to share our lives with. Or maybe, God just led us to each other.

Many happy moments were shared with them this year. I will never forget the time when Travis looked out for me (and Kie) and invited us to join his cell for supper everytime. Travis, you don't know how touched I was by this gesture - being alone in a big community is not a nice feeling to have. But, somehow you saw with compassionate eyes, the need. Your genuine gesture of friendship really touched my heart; and because you looked out for me, I started looking out for others, too. The impact of your love on my life will be felt, for a long time.

And Shiner, I'm forgetful I know, but hey, you are so willing to go all out to be there for me, even others around us cannot see what we have, and think sardonically of a covenantal friendship that is so pure, so genuine - you've seen me through failed relationships and down times - I remember the times at the playground at night when you were just there to offer a listening ear. You've seen me at my best and worst, a friendship that blossomed out of convienience as we lived close by - thanks for being there for me.

Knowing these people makes me want to be a better person, a better friend.

I've always dreamed of love, of a better place where pain, and suffering does not exist.


Maybe, I've already found that place - even though pain and suffering exists, and we all all affected by it, the covenantal friendships that arise makes the love seem immeasurable to the pain we all have endured.