Friday, January 20, 2006

X in the City

After a refreshing break in December, it's back to work in the city.

I love the city - I love working here - in The Office, with the best view in town. Gives me a sense of serenity in a hectic day when I gaze to my left and see the small tugboats lolling along with the waves. The Pier has nice prata. Crispy. I love just walking along Cavenagh Bridge and going to pluck apples for tea, when I need a bite.

I like to sit quietly at my favorite spot, near the muscular pigeon, with a book in my hand, and choice jazz music as my selection. I smiled at a weary runner I've never seen before, yesterday, when I was there. I wondered if he was training for the biathlon next month. All the nooks and little shops in The Alley to explore, all the people at The House, and eateries still not yet explored. Familiar sights that make up part of the city. Never thought I'd love the busyness of this place, the ways of the financial markets, the city lets me meet so many people I never thought I would like.

Met Grasshopper just outside The House's big TV. Was instantly drawn to him, much helped by his neatly pressed sky blue shirt. And his warm smile. Grass still calls almost everyday; tells me mundane everyday things about his life that perhaps he wants me to play a part in.

Met Emory at the posh florist. I was buying blue roses for birthdays. He was buying warm orange and yellow gerberas for a hospital visit. He said that he would give me a black rose someday. Everytime I walk past the posh florist, I would look for black ones.

Met Uncle Jammy downstairs. I always buy M&Ms from him. Surprised to know that he owns huge lands in India, and a hotel too. The simplest of people can be the richest. Always friendly, always remembers my name. I am touched.

Met Cutebert and Chopstick in The Office. Bert offered me words of encouragement and his phone to use when I was devastated at Big Boss' departure. And he offered to share his small, small umbrella with me, across the Esplanade bridge one rainy evening. Was happy for him when he got promoted. Chopstick's youthful looks belies his ability, for he is one of the stars in The Office. Chopstick smiles and says hi to me, all the time. He is too shy to say anything else. I smile back and think the world of him.

Tomorrow, next week, next month, who knows what the city has to offer, which interesting people I'd meet and the places I'd discover? The city holds a lot of promise for me. I love the city.