Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Dresses - not your usual suspects

Pretty, pretty dresses.

I'm not much of a dressed up person - sure, I do believe in wearing nice clothes and totally look down on those hongkong blouses with little pearls sewn on and cheap looking printing. Is it just me or are clothes getting more and more expensive these days? Plus, I'm someone really hard to please when it comes to buying something I really like and it has to be of a good bargain too. But lately, I'm starting to widen my horizons. Being involved in the fashion industry before, and knowing the cost price of cotton, I would never put down more than a hundred (or more than fifty, even...) for a white cotton dress... I did see one nice one yesterday from BCBG Maz Azria but being factory runoffs the price for it is a bit steep. Still, I would probably consider it someday if I had tonnes of money to spend on dresses. I'm quite fascinated by dresses. Especially now everyone tells me tall people should wear dresses. After I got my retro flower print dress (alas now faded by the wash), I began to hold a high regard for these one piece outfits. Wearing a dress makes me feel oh-so-womanly, they accentuate the little curves I have, and makes the whole day seem like a fairy tale - you know, swishing around in colored chiffon silks really puts one into a good mood. I never liked dresses that much - I guess I'm someone more practical. Give me shorts and a hollister shirt anytime. But after my little splurges on Mr Marc Jacobs and nameless pieces from street stores, I'm hooked. There's nothing like wearing a dress to anywhere, any function... a dress for every occasion! I feel like a princess - or someone riche, when I'm out in my Marcs. Just need to find the right footwear for these dresses - I can never think of the right ones. Sandals? I'm a fan of crocs and havaiianas but the dress would look so dastardly paired with them. Buying a dress is definitely worth your money.. besides I do know where to get the good deals for $100 around, and below, for really nice steals.

Made two nice discoveries last week and this week... shops selling dresses. Everytime I look at a stunning woman in a stunning dress, I always wonder where she shops at, online? Now I know... heh heh heh. Just on the third floor on Aerial Plaza near my workplace there is a small shop selling one pieces of Anna Sui, Diana von Fustenberg, Mr Marc, BCBG, etc etc. Lovely! Not very expensive as well, if you do need a cocktail or bridesmaid dress. Much nicer than if you go to Daniel Yam or those kind of boutiques. I think I will aim to have a dress for everyday... right now I'm keeping my eye out for a light turquoise number which I think will bring out my skin and etc. Had a traispery down this wholesale building where I bought my MiuMiu and Mr Marc, was disappointed as they had no new stuff and some, I suspect, fakes. Although it's still really affordable...Well, went around the building and wanted to leave when I took a turn and spotted a nice shop with nice korean dresses. Cheap, too! Isn't $28 good? So I got one $30 dress in milk color and a $10 knit top I can wear to work. I tried on like most of them and all suited me fine... Think me shall go back soonest. The milk color dress I can wear to Hill's wedding with the lawyer. It definitely looks more than $30 (after discount).

I would recommend girls to wear more dresses now, it really brings out the femininity of us women. Each time I see the lunch crowd around Caltex, I would 'rate' them... mentally... sadly to say, office workers are not dressed well at all. It's always predictable shades of taupe, gray and black - the all time favorite. Rarely do I see a stunning woman.

On the lookout for a red dress, a turquoise one and maybe a retro one for fun. Flea market season's coming up! Hope to get a little return on my investment, hee.