Monday, September 18, 2006

On a jewellery hunt...

Christmas is commmmming.... fa la la la la!

What can I say? I do like to plan ahead. Especially with the weather so bleak these days, reminds me of the 'wintry' Xmas mood =)

And seeing so many people making their own jewellery at the bazaar and elsewhere online, I was inspired to do my own. Mostly because in shops I cannot find what I am looking for, and I cannot bear to wear something someone else has. Hee, exclusive me. Was pretty intrigued at a friend's Lego earrings her ardent coll got for her. Sweet. Well, I like chunky kiddy stuff but unfortunately it's a no-no at work. Though I dared to wear Crocs once 'cause of the rainy wet ground. Don't you just hate the feeling of wet slippery sandals...

So lately have been on the lookout for craft shops which unfortunately in sg, is as rare as... LD records shop... I think making art and craft is really a dying pasttime. No one embroiders or makes those beaded fruit trees anymore. Noooo. Funnily went out with dear YH to Holland V yesterday...thought they should have those trinket shops... well there were 2 and one was closed and it was "Forever Company" (yong heng gong si) in Chinese... Was so funny I just stood there laughing...As Mr Forever is out with me... we joked that's why he closed the shop!

Today ended work early (self declared!) so I made a trip to one of the slightly musty shops in my hometown... surprise, they have all sorts of newfangled items like those anchor, sailor trinkets that is so so in right now plus of course all the old beaded stuff. Also many new kinds of beads, and everything to make jewellery with. So happy! (The next thing I will embark on is scrapbooking and painting, which I used to do) Bought to my budget of $15... forgoed the anchor trinket - think it will be outta fashion soon, plus it was too common now... And so!

Surprisingly happy with my original, exclusive design.

But I took really long to make it. Ha. One and a half hours! I didn't know what to do, where to hook etc. First time mah. But now I know. A long necklace next? I must say that it's really relaxing just twisting and chilling out with the radio in this weather... Maybe I'd make a piece for all my cell girls... or those trinket keychain... or something! Slowly... one a week? Hehe.

Anyone want to place order... ...

Shannon thanks for the link http://www.subversivejewelry.com/