Friday, September 22, 2006

Money and meaningless things that affect us

Someone mentioned that the price of shuttlecocks have gone up... All I can say, certain things affect other (industries) in different ways!

Yes, because of the chicken flu. I also have flu, these last couple of days. I wonder if my absence has affected anyone...?

I guess for most people small things in life don't seem to have much of an impact... Until that thing - taken for granted, disappears. Most people blame the government and complain about the recent IMF, that the road diversion seems to be very un-pedestrian and driver-friendly, that the policemen (Never knew there were so many!) situated at almost all our major shopping centres seem to add a heightened sense of insecurity... Being unhappy about such small stuff is a choice - Sure, I too glance at my watch more than a few times while passing through the diversion to my office the last weeks, but the time delay I would say at most, is just a mere 10 minutes, so why get so worked up over this small 'wastage' of time where during other instances, we fritter time away too.

Been watching Oprah - about 'debt diet', how many Americans are struggling in debt yet can't bear to give up their extravagant, wasteful lifestyles. I think money for them becomes a neccessity. It's a different outlook on life when you work for the monthly salary, compared to when you don't really need it and work to pass the time... and surprisingly, the latter is less stressed and ultimately performs better. I've seen many cases like this in my office. For myself, I don't work best under stress, rather, under a consistent, relaxed effort I cruise.

I used to 'count the cost' of many things - write down all my expenses in a book, fret about how much is left over in my bank account. Unfortunately I never mastered the habit of saving during my secondary school days - I'm not someone who buys a lot of stuff, but, the money goes to entertainment, mostly. See, I get bored easily and it doesn't pain my heart to watch maybe 3 movies in a week. The price is comparable (during my time) to going out for coffee... so why not watch a movie instead? Now... I think my choice of movie screenings become pickier - or do I realise that there are not many good shows to watch nowadays?

So, I am very afraid to get into debt, and I think that is a good thing... Even borrowing money... I do try to REMEMBER to pay it off asap. The thing is I've a really bad memory so all those who borrowed money from me... I hope I get it back someday. I've seen families like those on Oprah, stressed to death about keeping up with the bills, and seeing our way of life in sg, I have a sick feeling that that's going to be the case for many around me. See, previously the clothes in Robinsons', M&S, etc those departmental store brands were the norm - They were affordable, although, of course, basic and slightly frumpy. But hey, everyone I knew would buy from these staples. Our pagers never needed changing and mobile phones could last at least a year or two before some accident happens and it dies on us... And even if some accident happens, I remember them being more lasting! Now, mobile phones twice the price has a lead time of 6 months to a year. Clothes no longer are cheap. Look at Topshop, a simple dress costs at least $100. Even Giordano... wow. I won't make a last resort to those cheapo HongKong or China blouses though... It just looks bad.

And talking about handphones, in my lifetime I have used about ... 7? phones. Starting with a Motorola V-something (previously Motorola and Ericsson were the market leader) which screen changes color as different people call you... Of course that time the screen was gray with black font. I had many Nokias, and even the Motorola startac, the flip phone - the predecessor of the Razr. That was still one of the best designs if you ask me. Of course, Nokia soon won popularity with its user friendly functions although, up till now it's still so thick and heavy.

For most of us we buy things to keep ourselves happy. Me, included. Buying small cute things gives me an adrenalin rush for most of the day - similar to creating something of worth be it a painting, a necklace... Well, I do hope that we won't find ourselves having perpetual debt - In my line of work I've met many savvy investors who has that spare 5 or 6 figure sum to spare. Maybe we might rationalise, oh, those are the high flyers in the company. Or, those come from a rich family, or they have not many liabilities, no kids, no old parents etc. But surprise, surprise! Most of them come from rich families (true) that did not leave them any money, instead, teaching them how to afford the kind of lifestyle you want. And so, they look just like any other sg family, working in a middle management job. But they know how to save and what to spend on. And they will be much better off than the rest of us!

I've found my rich Dad, a mentor to guide me in the business area. I hope I'm teachable enough to start doing the right things at an early age. Some people believe that they want to be bankrupt before 30, so they can learn how to be a millionaire in the future. Me, I'm not so high-risk but not so chicken either. At my age I've gone to many places and met many people some can only dream about when they secure that higher management title. To step out in faith, there will be open heavens, said Fifi. Yes! I believe that whatever you step out in faith to do, there will be a new lesson learnt, a new experience and most of all, you learn how to face adversity, how to be strong.

When I see people complaining much about the small things in life, I guess they have not learnt how to complain about the big things.