Sunday, September 24, 2006

The perks of being thin

Being one of the tallest girls in my kindergarten, and primary, and secondary, I always felt like I was 'too tall'. Even though then and now, many girls would come and tell me I was their 'ideal height'. Maybe it works for you when you are in showbiz or a model. Me, I'm just an ordinary slim tall gal! Heels make me self conscious as I'd then tower over most of the guys. I'm not 'too tall' now, most of the guys have caught up with me since then.

I've always assumed that being thin comes naturally with being tall. After all, 'lanky' is an apt description for tallies like us. However I've always wanted to be more... voluptuous, despite lots of girls telling me they envy my long legs, my erh, ability to wear almost anything and still look okay. I never knew girls had so much trouble in the wardrobe department when they are slightly chubby, when they have to watch what they eat and still put on weight from drinking water. I don't exercise much (walk a lot though) but then, I don't eat much either and I'm hyperactive so that combination is a good one, I guess. I just lost 1 kg from 2 days of flu plus 2 weeks of no-lunch lunch. Actually, I don't feel hungry often, I guess I just eat to gain energy and kill time, of course I enjoy savoring the taste of delicious food as well! I think I'm quite in touch with my own body - I don't weigh myself regularly, but felt thinner on the limbs plus my ring was loose... I guess the experts are right, it's hardest to lose in the tummy and thighs area, although my thighs are non existent thanks to the no-visible-hipbone genes... But after the flu somehow felt myself being thinner. Every kg makes a difference when you are thinner I guess. My butt disappeared when I lost 5 kg during dengue last year. A secret: Drink Meiji milk. I drank a litre and it came back like normal!

And 'normal' girls won't want to associate themselves with me... it's like I'm in a class of my own. It's hard to go shopping with me actually... 'normal' girls will lose their self esteem when I can fit into anything 'free size' and usually, Euro/US 'small'. I don't even usually try on tops. Don't ask me about Asian brands though as I always find their hemlines too short for my long torso.

The downsides of being thin - or odd sized:
1. People just say that you are blessed with a high metabolism rate (How many times I've heard that, man...)

2...and can't identify with 'normal girl' problems of water retention, tummy, calorie count, taking half an hour to decide what to wear, can't find clothes to fit... etc.

3. Mean office 'aunties' will try to stuff you with extra mooncakes, oily breakfast and other extra snacks you don't usually take.

4. You always need padding for bras and can't wear black or dark colors, even if you like them.

5. Because of being too bony, wired bras chafe your skin and so does g-strings till you're rubbed red and raw.



But being thin has its perks. Of course, only thin and superthin girls can identify with me. Heh.

1. You don't have to worry about sagging parts when you get old. Hee...At least they will be slightly less sagging...

2. You feel so darn good when you ask the salesgirl, "Oh, size 'M' is what waist length in inches? Hmmm... I think it will be too loose. Give me 'S' instead."

3. You start to feel less darn good when 'S' is still loose...

4. You feel so pleased when you can fit into a size 25inch jeans with space to spare and just wish that the waist number is printed on the back, like Levis'...

5. You can give people healthy eating and/or dieting and exercising advice and you won't see any skeptical looks or frowns.

6. You don't look like a waddling duck when pregnant and you still have long legs to showcase ala Heidi Klum.

7. Plus you will never suffer the indignity of wearing size "L" except when pregnant.

8. No one will refer to you as 'fatso', 'hamburger', 'miss piggy' or ask you, 'How far along are you?' innocently when you sport a dress with sports shoes.

9. No one will exclaim 'Oh you've lost so much weight!' happily when you have lost weight. They'd just say, eat more, you're losing too much.

And the clincher...
10. You get the much sought after extra piece of mooncake with double egg yolk that all the aunties don't dare to eat infront of the other aunties, thus passing it to you, saying, "You can afford (to eat without worrying) it!"


Cheerio!