Friday, December 01, 2006

The Fraud Case.

I forgot to let the Holy Spirit do His work.

Read "The Cross and the SwitchBlade", reminded me of what I'm going to set out to do but somehow forgot along the way. Isn't it amazing how God can remind me of my purpose by simple things. Lately, the Holy Spirit has been ministering to me in so many ways I am softened by His love, actually.

Someone forged my signature.

Quite amazing because these are stories you only hear about from hearsay or watch on drama serials, but unfortunately (for the forger/fraudster) my signature was forged.

And not for a million dollars... Haha. Although I'm sure it will shock some of my friends if they knew I had a million dollars in my account. (don't have lah, for illustration purposes.)

I had signed up for an insurance policy from Prudential in '05... a cashback plan where yo can get money back every year, yet saving for your needs. End '05, I had it terminated because I was unsure if I could keep it up (Having just started in The Office) and I was also short on cash. I was told that I could stop it for a year and then restart it again, and initially agreed to it. However, later on I realised that if I stopped for a year, I could not have this chance to stop it again, I would have to keep paying for 20 years more. Not wanting to be caught in this situation, as who knows what might happen in the future, I decided then I would terminate it and informed the agent likewise.

A year later, last month, I received a GIRO receipt from the bank stating they have deducted a sum for Prudential. Thinking that perhaps they might have made a mistake, I then called the hotline to enquire.

What ensued was that somehow, I had signed some documents despite not even seeing my agent this past year. I had to go down to Prudential Towers to check it out, and was warned that it was a possible fraud case. I was shown some documents I've never seen before, and then asked to verify my signature. It was almost laughable. Whoever forged my signature, did so with a photocopier. It obviously looked photostated, exactly the same.

Well, I think one agent would suddenly have his banking account frozen and then hauled to a police enquiry. Although I did not wish to press charges (Since I had no loss anyways) they said, even a fraud of $10 is still a fraud. This guy's career as a financial advisor would probably be over from now on. I heard that he had recently reached the 'million dollar club' in the company, quite an achievement there. But one also wonders , how did he reach it?

All in all, it seems sad and wasted that just an act of folly could destroy all you have been building up for your life. Just because of two photocopied signatures, you singlehandedly destroyed all those long hours of sales talk. It's not in my hands now, but in the company's best interests to persecute him as an employee.

I wonder whether his upbringing could have contributed to such factors, but I guess it's up to himself to decide on such a course of action.

So, if anyone of us are in this situation, I urge all to think twice. Even doing such small things as stealing office supplies, I hope it will not lead to a greater mistake. It's better to have a good night's sleep knowing all your actions are aboveboard.