Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Karenina

Been reading "Anna Karenina", the book I bought at a second hand bookstore in Hong Kong, Stanley Street. Written by Leo Tolstoy, the same guy who brought you "War and Peace", super-long tome of whatnots, I was a bit apprehensive at this thick one, too. But it was called "The world's greatest love story in all literature", so I had to read it.

Surprisingly, it was easy to read, at least for me, perhaps I could identify that certain themes of love and suffering run in the same vein all through time. Reading it, I felt pity for the main characters, yet knew that their situation was one which they had made themselves... emotions are brought through in a kind of delicious suffering which their lives actually longed for, for this kind of suffering is better, than the worst kind - a dreary life of boredom. And perhaps that is the way it is for me, too.

The way Tolstoy writes it, it was almost as if he knew it, breathed it, and lived in such a time, describing everything from the peasants to the court monarchy of Russia in the 18th century.
Definitely worth the S$6 bucks I paid!

The Hong Kong trip was fun and I have written my own starter guide to exploring the city...to be published here soon... I'm glad that the traveller bug in me is still around, halfway through I ached to take photos of the quirks I've seen, only lamenting that I did not bring the camera, primarily because it was in Taiwan, with my brother...and also because I did not want to be troubled with taking photos, knowing that city pictures often do not turn out as well as countryscapes.

I miss Kie now that we've officially 'separated'... I know I am disgusting but I really look forward each time he drives me home, not only for the drive, but for the company. He has been my faithful listener each cell session I led...and I enjoyed the times he led immensely as well. During our Sentosa picnic I was just trying to memorize all his features, and the usual, silly grin he has that makes me giggle uncontrollably. I hope I am human enough to appreciate all that he has done for me, and never to forget such a nice buddy like him. Ah... I do have some anxiety. Imagine, now that our group has so many cars, I am seldom left with him, or left alone with him all to myself. Multiplying has some emotionally damaging effects! Nevertheless, I am glad that finally he can shine through, I really needed to vacate the position so that someone better than me can stand the test of time. Sometimes I feel as though I don't care about anything, or anyone... Maybe I should just focus on making money... Then again I don't care much for that either... But I know that a little voice inside tells me that I really care. Lots. Although sometimes I really don't feel like, or I don't think I am.