Monday, April 20, 2009

last night

Scott the Dog.
Note his cute son looking at us from behind.

I talked to A last night. For the first time!
We talked about the people we knew, and the places we've been to.

The places we loved to visit and want to visit again. I told him about Japan, and Bali - the enchanting sunset over the Tabanan village's padi fields. The pinks and purples that lighted up the horizon in a way he would have never imagined. I told him about Aceh, and how I helped, after the tsunami, to build a house for the ravaged township. He told me about his winter in Australia, that he hated and loved winter at the same time - exactly my sentiment, but I didn'tt see it in that light until he explained it to me... and a funny incident about his backpacking trip to Sabah.

I thought, 'how similar our lives are', in a certain sense... ... we have had eerily similar experiences, almost like we were traversing in similar circles in the grand sphere of life, near to each other, but never touching. When we were growing up, we lived in the same town. Just a couple of roads away from each other. I was so surprised, and happy, to know about that.

We ate at the same hawker centre. We had the same kindergarten uniform. Mine was a tablecloth printed dress with small pockets, I loved it. The tablecloth print was on his shorts. Then later, in the church... We had the same pastor, just that the pastor left my ministry and went to his - and I knew almost all the army guys in his cell - almost all, except him. We attended the same service at Adam, for years, without bumping into each other. It was as if he had been a part of my life without me knowing, and vice versa. 

So, even though we have just met, it was as if we were just catching up on the years we have lost being strangers with each other. 

'Do you remember the mee pok man?' I asked. Mom loved the mee pok at our old place, and I bought it back for her on a regular basis. 'Do you remember the nasi padang?' He replied. He liked that dish that was a part of his childhood days. My old hawker centre was such a part of Singapore that it was even featured in one of Jack Neo's movies, 'The Best Bet'.

After meeting A, I suddenly realised that cheesy phrases such as 'love at first sight' does hold true for some of us in this world. 

But I also have the feeling that he is like an imaginary friend becoming a real one, someone you always wished you knew and could talk to about everything in life because he knows it well himself, someone I could never imagine existing, coming to life, coming into my life.

I'm glad the circles finally collided.