Monday, May 18, 2009

co-owning a dog


For Sunday's outing, me and Mr A. went to the 'puppies-for-sale' place again. Actually, we went to Seletar Fish Farm, then Pasir Ris Farmway, then dinner and a nice long walk at Changi Beach Boardwalk. Sometimes at these god-forsaken places, it seems like there are only two of us in the world and time just stops and we can just sit and stare at the waves crashing on the rocky islets.
The Changi beach boardwalk is quite a nice built-up walk that traverses the shores of the beach and at the 'Fairy point', mimics a kelong. I love that Mr A. and I always like to explore these off-the-beaten track places, hopefully we won't morph into those shopping mall-and-a-movie people.
And I'm glad that in those oft-secluded places, I can really trust Mr A. Truly, for him, action speaks louder than words. In this case, I can tell he's a decent guy by the space he places between us - I'm fine with being closer, but I respect him even more when he doesn't intrude into my personal space. He doesn't have to say he's decent, gentlemanly, etc... he proves it by the way he acts. *clap clap clap* So Nice!
I'm thankful that he's such a decent guy.
And Mr A. is brave, too. He's extremely scared of reptiles. Even small ones like lizards. I think it's the slimy scaly feeling that puts him off. Once I wanted to tap a lizard off a glass pane and fling it at him, he just shuddered and hugged his oolong tea bottle tightly in one corner. (Okay, I am not so bad to fling it at him.) And he doesn't know what is a salamander...nor a newt. So when I told him that I had filmed newts and actually held one in my hand.. he kinda freaked out. (Actually my camerawoman and soundman also kinda freaked out when I held it out to them.)
There were still some newts left at the fish farm so Aunt scooped them out. At first, Mr A. just looked at us with trepidation, but after knowing we won't be so bad to fling it at him, he gingerly opened his palm and I let it wriggle on his palm. Although could sense that his skin was crawling at the fact a little black newt was there... he just held it and remained calm. I'm so proud of him. Next time I shall catch him salamanders.
==

It seems that I can never tire of looking at small cute dogs and that... would be a most wonderful way to spend a weekend. The last time we went to Pet Movers, we were observing a litter of Golden Retriever pups - 6 of them from the same parents. Now, they are really much bigger, and 2 of them were already sold, leaving 4. Mr A. likes a small one who always seems to be resting on its wee paws and looking out sombrely, unlike its' more rambunctious siblings. There was one who was constantly wrestling with whichever he could get to play with him. We ran out of energy just by watching him jump on his siblings and walloping them... ... On the way back, in the car, we already happily imagined we were owning one dog, and started thinking of names.
"Prata?"
"Chappati...come 'ere Chappati"
"No Chappati!"
"I know... let's call him 'Danga!' "
"-_-"
"You know what Ms Cheerful said?"
"What? How she knows we are going to co-own a dog?"
"*snigger* Heh... she said... we should call it a mix of our names. How about... R... Rex??"
"Rex is too common. 'Thosai'?"
"Noooo....Larry?"
"Larry is my pastor's name."
"Larry! Nice name for dog. Larry... larry..."
"-_-"
...
And so on. Hmmm, I miss him already.
This actress kinda looks like me. Or I look like her? Maybe in the future we will have a Golden Retriever. Hee...