Monday, May 04, 2009

A dog, which dog?


Last night, on msn...

Me: Thank you for being a co-owner (of my future dog) with me. You make a good co-owner!

Mr A: I make an even better father.

Me: I'd like my eggs unfertilized for now, thanks...

Mr A: ... ... ...

=
Haha. Couldn't resist.

It was Mom's remark that she didn't mind a small dog that actually got me thinking about having one. Most of my friends have dogs/had dogs but I could never afford (feeding one) or the time to take it on a daily walk. But now, I think I'm at the right age and the right...frame of mind to actually own a dog. 

Although I will still take about 1-2 months to finalize my decision, and do some research. 
It's kinda of a big commitment for me, as most of my previous pets were all short-living ones.

Mr A is sweet, he actually volunteered to 'co-own' the dog and keep it at his place on weekends. So I take care of it on weekdays. 
He said it's like I have more custody, haha... ...And he was really serious about it. He kept dogs before, so he understands the 'commitment'. And it was after he really said that that got me thinking, seriously. Since I also like dogs (I like all animals). 

We went to Pasir Ris Farmway 3 to take a look at the dogs for sale - the first one was more of a posh, sterile environment with really nice looking dogs, the other one was more homely, hdb-suited dogs. I think we stared at the puppies for hours - there were lots of Golden Retrievers, two different families of them, and they were mostly sleeping. I know that the 'first one out' tends to be...the healthiest, usually being bigger and stronger than the rest, but the downside is that it also has a more dominant personality, so it may be a role reversal, ie you become the dog and he the master, if you should choose such a puppy. We saw 3 little huskies - huskies actually look weird when they are pups, like little dunno-what animals. One with black rings around his eyes, I wanted to call him Bandit, and Mr A said if he had that dog, he would call him 'Zorro'. I don't like yappy dogs that are too small, in fact if not for the fact that HDB had such rules, I'd want a bigger dog. But there are limits to our imagination being here in Sg. 

We also found out we had the same taste in dogs - I can never understand why people like to keep chihuahuas or ...pomeranians. I don't really like poodles or malteses or schnauzers (too common nowadays), or shih tzus ... jack russells are too hyper for me. Something calming and sweet would be nice. I prefer hound-type or beagle, spaniel type dogs to toy-dog types... hee. So we have narrowed down to either a beagle or an italian grayhound - which Mr A can then feed spaghetti and leftover meatballs. 



I had the best Sunday ever!!! And we saw a nice sunset and sat through a dog obedience training course, as onlookers...am still in some happy bubble where I feel all warm and fuzzy and blissful and cheery... is this the way it's supposed to feel like? Whee!

It feels amazingly good, and because I am now much older and wiser after the last two years of ups and downs, I think I'm not going to over-analyze anything - which is what I'm prone to do, and just live in the moment and treasure every word, every time spent. Because to me, in life, what matters most is catching those moments and making them real.