Saturday, August 22, 2009

whining because i'm sickly

I hate being sick.
I'm not seriously sick, but sick enough to be bothered by the all consuming lack of energy and taking things slowly like a geriatric person.

True, being sick does have its perks. For one, in the recent days, I no longer rush about from place to place, putting more emphasis on a sense of relief that I do make it to my destination, without vomiting, without any stronger symptom than feeling queasy. I had a flu (no fever) 2 months ago and 2 weeks back caught another one from my family members. Teamed with a huge ulcer in between and now, vomiting, diarrhea and the usual nauseous state, I think I shall give up my 'no-complaining' rule and whine a little bit. I've been as fit as a horse for the whole year, so the long bout does get me down. I was even sick on the day of my photoshoot, downing lemsip caplets to give the semblance of health. But was in bed the whole of the next day.

The Boyfriend's been awesomely caregiving and understanding through all this. As a guy, I wonder, do they get used to a woman's moods, especially the women they live and work with? That time of the month, the usual grouses about people we can't stand, the whining during minor illnesses - whining does help, for me. I always throw a self-pity party when I'm sick because I can't stand not moving and doing something. Also, I was pretty much in and out of hospital when I was young, having childhood asthma, so sometimes when I can't breathe, I have a panicky feel that it's all coming back, the ins and outs of the outpatient ward, the gaseous thing you try to breathe in, the incapacitated state of your body.

Mushroom my new rabbit, is sick too. Rabbit flu. No, I did not pass it to him, and animal illness are not contagious. Dad gave him a wet bath which was a strict no-no. I almost freaked out when he stopped eating, due to the trauma, as that was what led to Skiiri's RIP. We went to a vet, given meds, which I had to force feed. Luckily, Mushroom loves licking on the medicine so it was more of me trying to force the syringe out from his mouth incase he chews it off rather than squirting him with 3 different medicines.

Being moderately sick also puts things into perspective, rather. Instead of worrying about everyday things, like 'am I spending too much?', 'why my tummy looks burgeoning?', 'should I do this and that', etc, all these worries vanish, at least for me, these mundane, everyday worries are gone, replaced by minimal fears that I'm never going to recover, it's been almost two months, and each day's planning to continue working yet have enough rest, and 'where did I put my medicine', 'did I take my required dosage of antibiotics already?' Though I know other people are suffering from worse ailments than my small virus, I can't help but feel that rest-times are too short, and work-times too long, and how nice it could be if I could take a gap year from working, and teach English in a faraway country like Japan while experiencing the culture there.

In the first few days of being ill, the mind travels to current work schedules. In the further few days, it takes mindtrips to somewhere else where the grass is always greener.