Thursday, October 08, 2009

a ranting state of mind.

How you treat others, as well as how I treat the people around me, is somewhat of importance to me. It's like what's been said about Etiquette by 'Miss Manners',

"You can deny all you want that there is etiquette, and a lot of people do in everyday life. But if you behave in a way that offends the people you're trying to deal with, they will stop dealing with you...There are plenty of people who say, 'We don't care about etiquette, but we can't stand the way so-and-so behaves, and we don't want him around!' Etiquette doesn't have the great sanctions that the law has. But the main sanction we do have is in not dealing with these people and isolating them because their behavior is unbearable."

I have seen some people whose behavior is, well, mystifying.
They seem to hate their job. But I wondered whether, if they change jobs, would it still be the same? My guess is, they will continue to be miserable and make others miserable. Getting some negative vibes from those who hate their job/life, it's truly not pleasant to be in their company.

I had a sudden deep thought while ironing my casual-work-wear top in preparation for work, the other day.

I can say, perhaps proudly, that I don't care for Money. That Money is not a motivating factor for me, likewise, I don't go for branded clothes, I'm more about the quality and value for the price point. So maybe I'd like to think of myself as someone whom Money is not a motivating factor. However, if it were put to me, in this way, so why not I take up a job in a non-profit, earning ... peanuts... but doing something really meaningful for animals, people, or even the environment? Would I go for it? And the answer is... ... No. Sadly, I still think that you have to be paid what you're worth, or thereabouts. Although I think that yes, I could subsist on the meagre income, and yes, it would be very fulfilling at the end of each day to see lives change, at the end of it all, I will still feel a lack of pride that I'm working here where I could be having a more classy job somewhere else. Isn't that so, for most of us? I've seen men who work in the non-profits, some are married, even with kids, and I think that is a noble act of sacrifice. However, I wonder if the kids eventually will think highly of their father for choosing this path and not one which will enable them to be more comfortable financially.

So for me, maybe I cannot say that proudly that Money does not motivate me, or I remain unaffected by Money. I think we do complain a lot because our lives are quite boring here, but seeing the typhoons and earthquakes around the region, seeing maybe your whole wardrobe disappear in the flood, hey, you got to be thankful to be living here and not a few hundred miles away.

So...I aim to be more cheerful in my dealings, and always have, in the back of my mind, to be thankful for these things I have right now.