Friday, November 06, 2009

serendipitously sagacious




Such lovely, canvas-style like, dreamy photos... and guess what? I know the man.
Hmmm... when my big day comes I will find it hard to decide on which photographer eh.

It was an amazing coincidence, I was having a meal with my ex-colleague and duno-why, she talked about this photographer's photos which she loved. Having a bit of skepticism on the quality of photos, since I had perused many, MANY wedding photographers' work (www.greenweddingshoes.blogspot.com , they are lovely!) I went to check it out on Facebook. The shots were amazing and his name rings a bell.

I remember that during my sales days about 2-3 years back, I had met the guy.
He shared that he hadn't any money to invest mainly because he wanted to do his own thing, ie become a photographer. Knowing of many wannabe photographers, I took it with a pinch of salt. I remember being skeptical about pursuing one's dreams in the creative field in Singapore, especially since I've known many who have just done that, but the income cannot keep one for long... So seeing how far he's come now, I feel so happy for him! Whether he has 'made it' or not, this would definitely be one happy bride!


http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=713794114
http://www.thegaleria.com/weddings


"I guess Singapore is so materialistic, that it's hard not to get sucked into it. I do struggle with my own intentions when it comes to money and possessions. I sometimes wonder where to draw the line between being ambitious and having godly contentment. Do I euphemise my striving for more wealth as ambitious, or water down my lack of drive as being contented?"
-said my pen-pal from across the continents.

Yes, this is exactly what I've been feeling these few days. a sort of quarter-life reflection or because the end of the year is coming, I am in the 'take stock of the year' kind of mood. I'm thinking about my future. While right now I thank God for my blessings and I seem to be in a place better than most, with regards to connections, expertise and etc, I'm thinking about the 5-year plan. The Boyfriend is in the 'counting money' line, and while some might say the work sucks, the pay is low for the kind of work and etc, 5 years later, he can find an established position in almost any company with a pay bracket which is, well, standardized amongst the profession and, a very comfortable income for that matter. Whereas I, looking at my 'prospects' 5 years from now, it doesn't seem very good, if I hone myself in my current capacity. The market is small and likewise, career opportunities are not as good. It's not all about the money, a woman's career is short too - if we have kids we have to stop work for a couple of years at least. So if I do return to the workforce, I'm not too keen to start from the bottom, or in a dead-end job(=administrative in nature). Help! That is why probably at this time and age, it's best to consider my options before I have not many GOOD options. Isn't that so?

I'm sure for many people, starting out doing their own creative thing is not easy at all. Having to juggle being self-employed with their artistry and having a higher EQ to deal with all sorts of clients at the beginning and all sorts of expectations... they have made sacrifices like sleepless nights, maybe putting a relationship potential on hold. But end of the day, the satisfaction that they've made it their own truly belongs to them.

But for me, I like to be non-self-employed. Yes, for my future too, at least the next 5 years'.
Earn more to take nice photos!

Posted by Picasa