Thursday, November 05, 2009

bending over backwards

Oh, I miss those decadent breakfasts...

New word of the day: shenanigans. And I've actually used this word in a sentence after being prompted to remember its meaning. Hee. Perhaps in a bid to stop my English from going down the drain talking to 'low-level people'. I've sadly realised that if you're going to make it professionally, you have to have a more than adequate command of English, something which I've naturally excelled in, loving to read and converse with others who are also articulate and passionate about the spoken and written word.

So I'm appalled/uncomprehending to the ways of 'low-level people' (Or 'bottom-feeders' as Dad puts it) pronounciation can be forgiven. Mispelling one or two words is fine, still forgiven, and even wrong usage of past and present tense, though that should have been learned in preschool... and even wrong placing of " 's " and " s' " can also be overlooked. But some English errors once made, becomes the joke of the day, and too bad for you people will just remember you for this gross mistake. Case in point, a bottom feeder spelt one of my productions under 'martial arts', as 'marshall arts'. Not realizing it was wrong, sent it to the client (along with more spelling mistakes I must add), this was related to me by another colleague... a week later (today), they again remembered the 'marshall arts' when the said clips were shown to them.

It just goes to show that double-checking, or spell-checking (but in this case... grammar check perhaps?) is crucial in presentation to clients! Man... ... it is too painfully funny. Worse case is that the said person brushed off his boo-boo, stating that 'it's a common mistake most people would make and not notice.' What a big ego! It may be a funny story related as a light-hearted humor but when you face such happenings, again and yet again, you really have to reconsider some options. I'm not saying you have to bend over backwards to please a client, but at the very least, don't show your flaws THAT obviously. I'm wondering what will happen when I'm gone?


Posted by Picasa