Tuesday, December 29, 2009

on my reading list in december



It's funny how my reading habit wanes and ... what's the opposite of wane?
Anyway, in the last month I've picked up a stash of really good books, having not read novels for some time now. I'm in the habit of reading something, anything, before bedtime, and for the past months now unfortunately, it's been fashion magazines. Maybe that constitutes my sheer materialistic nature of always lusting for things I cannot afford, or even if I can afford, hmm, I don't think I can justify that purchase. Living in this city with a full wardrobe, I think I am content, though I could not say no to a good sale, or a nice and affordable dress, we can never have too many dresses, can we? Well, I bought some clothes at a blogshop I visited (outlet near my office in Chinatown area, shall blog that next.)

About the branded bags in Melaka, I have to clarify that I don't mean not seeing anybody carrying branded or slightly higher priced bags (Coach or Gucci is not in the same price point or luxury point as say LV), I don't mean that Malaysians or Melakans are poor and thus cannot afford... I mean that, the downside of being rich in such a city, is that even if you have the moolah to spend, you cannot easily spend it on the things you want to buy. So they have to buy online or nearest mall in KL or fly overseas. Of course that is also good in a sense, not like us, easily passing by a Coach store, easily walking in, easily buying... and before you know it you have many Coach bags, of which you only carry SOME... and it's a dratted waste of money for the others you don't carry. Of course those girls in our MRT are not rich by any standards... yet, all seems to want to carry branded bags. I don't think there's anything wrong because the cheap bags look cheap, spoil easily, and in Singapore, are not THAT cheap... so might as well buy something lasting in my opinion.

I always like to liven up my life by reading some books, especially those that are turned into movies. I've read Angels and Demons (will watch it soon on DVD) and liked it, thus, want to watch the movie. If I've read the book and don't like it, I would most probably not want to watch the movie. So those on the 'don't want to watch because the book is not nice' in my opinion are: The Time Travellers' Wife, and My Sister's Keeper. I know many will disagree with me saying they loved the books but this kind of soppy-love genre is not enjoyable for my reading pleasure. I did read and love 'Twilight' and 'New Moon', and I have to say the movie does not disappoint.

I bought 'the girl who played with fire' (a looooong trilogy) partly because of the awesome review on the papers, and the setting - it's set in Sweden, reading about it, I enjoy having a peek at the culture. The books are written Alias- style and I can see how a Jennifer Garner character type would fit into the movie perfectly. Think I have to wait a few years for the movie though. Julie and Julia is a fluffy-looking book which I bought without having much high expectation of it. After all, it screams 'chick-lit', and I have read the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella and etc. But this book does not disappoint, in fact it is really amazingly fresh and honest, I have to say the female author Julie, writes really well, in the sense that she can write out and ruminate on what's on every woman's mind. I guess women the world over will identify with her writings, her schemes, her thoughts, haha. All in all, a highly enjoyable read and there are moments you will laugh out loud and cannot stop laughing at the visual imagery floating through your mind.

It's two well-written books like these (I also read the 3rd book in the trilogy by Stieff Larssen) that makes you want to reach out for something more substantial than a fashion mag to while away your time.

Posted by Picasa