Sunday, January 31, 2010

a cause for being faithful

Well, I didn't get the job I wanted. Was feeling rather down but thankfully, a kind contact told me it was a 'blessing in disguise'. He's a headhunter who knows that the position doesn't pay well. If we work, of course it's not for the money, but if I was stuck in a dead-end position, I think it's definitely not a good path to take. I did pray for 'open doors', perhaps now I need golden open doors. The headhunter offered me a position sometime in the middle of the year. This job would pay twice what I'm currently getting/asking. It definitely sounds delicious and I will consider it seriously if it is still open to me later on. Meanwhile, I shall continue looking.

There's been a lot of discussion about staying faithful in a marriage, and recently Pastor said that increasing number of married couples are not able to pass the 3-5 year mark. He referred to a well-known couple in our midst where one party was proven unfaithful and it resulted in a divorce. As a celebrity couple, definitely all eyes are on the remaining person. Will he suffer depression? He had a bout, of 6 months which I think is normal for anyone in that situation. Rumours abound. Some say the lady's lover is from The Church. Some say she has more than 1 lover! True or not, what causes anyone to be led astray, according to Pastor, is the lack of a firm foundation and intimate walk with God. TheBoyfriend and I were discussing this matter because he knows the lady and I, the husband. Since it's so easy for leaders to fall, and even some pastors... what more mere members like us? For one, I sympathize being the husband. All his memories, not just the 3-5 years but much more, are entwined with her. Removing photo evidence of their being together is probably like swiping off almost all data in his memory bank. Sure, he is still youngish, but that's not the point. Being a leader, you have many time constraints too. Take my friends in the youth ministry. They have to serve in committees, chair prayer meetings, attend leadership meetings, general meetings, meetings with pastor, meetings with members, core group meetings and not forgetting their work and social life. It's no wonder most of them are single or break up. Sure, the godly message that would be told us is that God will give us the strength to do this and more... but when you're so exhausted and hardly any time for your family, it does not really put you in a romantic mood. I've been there, done that, and I can say there is really no mood... in fact, I was thankful for not having to juggle a relationship in the midst of all that jazz. I'm not saying we shouldn't be leaders but we have to see everything as it really is. There are rewards to serving faithfully for sure.

For this couple, a fault could be placed on this area perhaps. What's the next step for someone who has lost all his past happy memories, to be replaced with sad ones... maybe it's to build faith in something that will last. Life is tough... but looking at our asian counterparts, we can be happy in the fact that we are so much more blessed than them.