Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Books that change, or do they?

Some people write books because they want to change lives, or share an idea, or prove something, or let others get interested in their hobby. Unfortunately for me, because I read so much, books are like...fair-weather friends. When I'm into them, it's non-stop interaction. I have to sit and read and finish reading. But when I'm done, away they pop back into the bookshelf and I rarely ever notice them again, or feel the way they have made me feel when I was with them for the first time. Ahh, like the smell of a new car, the smell of a new book does enthrall me.

I'm back to my pre-boyfriend weight now, just half a kg less and I can be back to my... secondary school days' weight! Being at home I just eat lesser - since I wake up later, I'm awake for lesser hours, and hence, eating lesser. I do eat more junk, like tao kae noi, ruffles, sinful choc biscuits, etc... but lesser on the whole. Being in a new relationship, I guess we will tend to eat out more at restaurants, nice restaurants with nice food. And tend to want to share some sides which adds up in the waistline and on the bill. Because he doesn't have a sweet tooth and I have a huge one, we tend to share cakes and I'm eating 70% of it... gah. So I've put on about 2.5 kg. Half of it from Bangkok and 1 kg-ish from Melaka christmas weekend. It sounds like it isn't much, but think about it: If I, or any woman, puts on 2 kg each year, 10 years later, that would be an aunty-ish 20 kg. So no thanks for me. I'm going to stay as stick thin as possible. Or at least maintaining my weight. It's not good for weight to fluctuate up and down either. Ok, back to books...

Ortberg is my all time fave author in Christendom authorship, I just wonder why not many bookstores stock his stuff. They only have one or two of his popular ones. I spied this and bought it... Kie wanted to buy it for me for christmas but I couldn't remember the name of the last of his books which I haven't actually read. It's smart, witty, and actually brings you closer to God, to thinking about God, which... sadly not all christendom books do.

Bought this at booksactually, the cover looks frilly and fun girly, but it's not. It's like a thesis with notations and almost scientific explanations. Definitely explains all you need to know and more. I am reading this very slowly and when I can't fall asleep.

TheBoyfriend's book which I finished over a weekend. Good stuff, written in the way you feel he is speaking aloud to you, much like my Dad would, or some police officer/lawyer speaking to you. It's droll humour in some parts and laugh out loud moments at others. I wanted to read this after seeing a lady read it in the train with bemused expressions. I have to say Subhas' first book is making waves for TheBoyfriend to buy it. Because his bookshelf has barely 10 books not counting accounting books. Lol.


Stumbled upon this book while surfing Amazon and finally found it at PageOne. Despite it being a NY bestseller, found it was not really publicized here. A business biography, it is interesting because this is a CEO of KPMG who only had 3 months left to live. Not many people have a written account of what they'd like to do before they die, so it's a mesmerising read, and because he's a top executive, there is much to learn about the business aspects as well.
So that sums up my bookshelf picks. I'm also reading 'girl meets god' by Lauren Winters.