Sunday, January 24, 2010

spring cleaning and lantern making

Oh, how I wish I could say I was bumming around.
But in reality, I'm keeping busy. Some part of me feels guilty if I become a couch potato for weeks on end.

Having the notion of doing something worthwhile and 'craft-inspired' with my time, I bought a set of angpaos and accessories from a craft shop in AMK, hoping to make a series of lantern-angpao art. Although I have a degree in art... ... I almost gave up on those angpaos... I think I don't have a craft-side to me, unless it involves scrapbooking which I can do quite well, or painting... (Sorry Clone, I gave up on the kasut manek...)
First step: folding the angpao into a conical shape. Staple with red staples, 5 of these to form a flower.
This is half of the lantern ball I completed in the shop - completing ONE lantern ball (already done the conical-single angpao at home)... takes 2 hours in the shop! My hands were trembling from all that stapling. One lantern needs 5 of those flower formations x 12 = 60 angpaos per lantern. And the tiring part was the secret piece of plastic I had to slip in each lantern and superglue the fold opening... Well, just hope TheBoyfriend's mom appreciates it. I also bought the template for 'fish' which is much more complicated.... starting to regret.

A tired looking me holding up the completed works of art. I like the yellow sequin flowers...
Today I did a little spring cleaning...small redecoration.


Spring cleaning BEFORE: my drawer-top, random small bottles of lotions, accessories I never wear, a clock, some arty stuff, a card TheBoyfriend gave on our first monthniversary, hellokitty coinbank from japan, kewpie baby from hongkong, clock from kenny, tree of accessories and statue of liberty. Yes, the statue we should all worship if we were to worship one.
Framed up the card from TheBoyfriend, rearranged stuff under the tree of accessories. Yes, I have black photoframes from Ikea lying around.

The white frame bought from bangkok about 10 bucks.Used my new magiclean duster... it is soooo useful, I feel like buying one for everyone! Decided to put those stuff I bring out in bags, like ishuffle, lip glosses and hairpins in the clear compartments. Used a black soap dish I bought from Daiso some time back for a place to put my keys and hp. Also used the owl keychain - just blu tacked the key ring to side of soapdish.

Ta-dah! All my things look neat now, I am in half a mind to throw out all the necklaces and bangles I bought because it was pretty but never actually wearing them. To make the wall seem less empty, I put up postcards from different places around the world, from my collection. One of vietnam given by Mel. I also put some of my daily used perfumes so I can remember to squirt them on. They are Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker, it's a unique and light scent, apple martini flavor. The Juicy one seems to be commonplace now although I was assured it was rare when I bought it, oh well. I'm eyeing either Hermes Kelly Caleche or Marc Jacobs scent for my next parfum buy. Next up for spring cleaning would be my bags shelf.