Tuesday, January 05, 2010

cleaning out my clutter

RIGHT Now is the no-man's land after Christmas and New Year, where the mind ambles on to a dreamlike state of being utterly complacent and, overloaded by shopping, heavy eating, and the mingling with the phalanx of friends, some you only see on the last season's few days, for better or worse; we start to think about how to dispose our unwanted gifts, and how to better our over-gorged bodies. The gung-ho amongst us are trawling the malls as I write for post-season sales, all the better and cheaper, if only we had the mood to shop and the money to spend. Somehow at the beginning of the year, everyone becomes a bit more frugal. Maybe it's a stark reminder of how we can make wiser purchases this year, as opposed to last year. So those with January birthdays don't get really big presents.

I'm in the midst of cleaning out my cupboards of which I seem to have numerous... and sorting out my stuff. The urgency of doing this is coupled with the fact that I need more space to store my new stuff, mostly buys from Bangkok and an array of toys, art and stationery I brought back from my office space (yes, no job = no money = more love from my honey). I've already packed one 'china bag' full of unwanted but still wearable clothes -Mom doesn't let me throw any clothes away, and now it's in TheBoyfriend's storeroom (from storeroom to storeroom...) awaiting new owners in the form of his lovely cousins or perhaps, it will languish there till the end of time.

I've found two belts (you shall see me wearing belts every day now), 3 scissors (I shall donate them to somewhere), books and more books I forgot I had read, old cards, old bags. Looking at your old things brings out a sense of nostalgia although, you have forgotten about them, and although I am, unlike my mother, rather vicious about throwing out things, a part of me wants to keep them for some reason I can't understand. I probably would not carry some of those bags again but it's just for some godforsaken sentimental reason that we can't throw them out. And I suspect, also the reason for some of my childhood clothes to be in a bag somewhere in my parents' room... ....

I've cleared out a drawer and three cupboards, I'm left with 8 more places to clear up/out. Hopefully I can get it done! It's quite exhausting...