Friday, March 26, 2010

the importance of being happy

After some time of pondering, I realize, that it's really important for me to be happy.
And knowing what you can be happy about in life, I guess, puts things in perspective for me.

Doesn't everyone like to be happy, you may think...?

Ah yes, that would seem to be the case. But I have a sinking notion that some people are just out to make life miserable for the unfortunate people they happen to impact. Like those back biting mother in law or step sister characters always seen on those taiwanese rich family saga drama serials. Or an unreasonable manager, or an unreasonable pet... or just some bad circumstance that happens to you, like 'Jon and Kate', Jon left Kate with 8 young kids in tow... where's the happiness in that situation, I really can't see how she has the strength to go on and survive, and not only survive, but even find happiness... strong woman? Or no choice...

To put it plainly, I'm not doing well at all in my new job. Yes, I had high expectations of me doing well - after all, I was always the golden child, the smartest one... the fastest and the brightest! Maybe even the most creative...haha. (Self praise is no praise.) But I am not faring well, not having any favor with my boss, although I love the colleagues. The emotional stress is a rollercoaster ride to say the least. Maybe I'm always more sensitive than others when it comes to personal attacks or thinly veiled insults, I guess being a nice person myself (in a way, at least I consider the feelings of people before I shoot my mouth) I cannot stand scoldings being meted out especially with no good reason. And also having been in a position of leadership myself in my past job, I have never dealt so harshly with people under me despite the mistakes or errors they might have made. An acquaintance asked on FB, 'Which would you rather be, a happy tesco worker or a sad accountant?' - of course, there are many rhetorics to this question, but the meaning is in the 'position' and the 'job scope'... it's hard to answer if you think about it further... ... To my small minded way of thinking, I think there is no such thing as a happy tesco worker... I mean, how happy can you be with back breaking thankless work and a meagre salary?

To me, while I still can, and before the double financial crisis of marriage and childbirth rears its head, my happiness is something I would like to find a balance for... in work, relationship, life, family. I realize that time is running out before I save up and even get to enjoy life's little luxuries. If I want to save 1 mil by age 45, or even half mil... without debt, it's already impossible, seeing that I have slightly lesser than 20 years to save, and even saving every little bit does not make much. If life in Singapore is that bad, inane, and insipid, I could be desolate...

But there's always things to be happy for, isn't it?