Thursday, April 22, 2010

shopping exercise

Indulged in retail therapy over the last couple of days. I must say that I treat shopping and window-shopping like exercise. Due to some errands I had to run, I walked in PS and then from Citylink to Marina to Suntec to Millenia and back to Citylink and finally Raffles City. No wonder I was bushed after that! I declined after dinner activities and went home to rest! Unimaginable!

I think I walked non-stop for over an hour in the malls. It's actually quite nice to walk in those malls because they were relatively quiet during the afternoon and it's long stretches of straight walk-throughs and few escalators or seats around. Best, I managed to score some good shopping deals.

I've always liked this brand of shoes - Naturalizer - they are comfy shoes, think Ecco or Scholl, but the designs are not so auntie... I quite fancy all the old-school designs and lush colors of red, camel, tobacco, burnt orange for the court shoes. And it's in leather. Of course, like all ergonomically designed shoes, they were quite pricey and it would be an investment to think about... But early this year, after falling in love with the shoes, I decided I would get one.

After all, I'm not really a shoes person - still owning and loving my ONE pair of sneakers - Onizuka lutte filles, and a couple of leather flats from Martina Pink (also really comfortable!) and ONE pair of slippers (also very comfortable and fashionable) from OkiB. And ONE white diamante one from Pazzion (after breaking it in, it's comfortable enough for a few hours' shopping trip and always gets compliments.) It's my inherent belief that a good and pricier pair of shoes is always better than buying many pairs of cheap shoes. I've seen many teenagers wearing those cheap flats everywhere - I do have them too, but I just wonder if long-term it will lead to some harm.

So early this year, with my hard-earned money I went to Naturalizer with the intention of getting their pricey shoes. But... all those designs I liked... did not have any stock of my size! Sobs. I was really not in a good mood that day... after having deliberating for some time, and not being able to buy the thing I wish! Rats.

But yesterday... I found a 'branded warehouse' temporary sale... I walked past on the first time, but walking back to Citylink I had to pass by it again and... voila! There were shoes! Lovely Naturalizer shoes and in my size. Much better, there was a real good discount that slashed the price more than 70% off! I was overjoyed. Yay!!! The feeling of... being so lucky, so happy is unimaginable!!! I'm just wishing for the next outing to wear those out... haha... but I'm probably not going out anywhere the next few days.

My shopping jaunt this month was quite successful, after so much window shopping, I realized that I'm getting better at 'purchasing'. For instance, in the past, I would not bat an eyelid at buying yet another pouchette or some accessory like a necklace and end up not really wearing them. It may be nice, and something that catches my eye, and even get compliments while wearing/carrying those items... but... it's just something that you don't really want to wear/carry after a while. But, it's also too nice to throw away. So it just sits on my shelf or hanging on my dresser... lonely!

So now, I just buy really cheap (and comfortable) clothes (I realize I wrote comfortable many times in this post...) like those from Cotton On, always going on sale, and something I would wear again and again. I'm starting to love Cotton On, compared to Uniqlo and other similar 'cheap' brands (by the way what happened to Samuel and Kelvin? Thought they were quite popular with the guys...)



















Yummy clutches...

I also bought a lambskin clutch in mustard yellow at a shop which does customized bags. I really like the mustard yellow leather color - so far I think all my bags have quite a unique color, still looking for that ultimate purple bag in a shade of purple which is so chic - either a dusky lavender purple or a darker, almost black, velvety purple! I was so tempted to customize a bag in the 'satchel' pattern I like - something like mullberry's boxy designs, mannish but smaller and twist-clasps and handles and slings. Yummy. I think I will definitely consider customizing, the cost of the customized material bag in lambskin is about the same as a Marc by Marc Jacobs tote in ... nylon. Bleah. I have given up on ever getting a Marc Jacobs.










The fantastic mustard yellow satchel from Mullberry.


















I really really like Miumiu's Coffret bag. The picture doesn't do it justice. The pleats and the shape is womanly yet tough... It's amazing that only at this age and time, we can spend more on ourselves. I foresee in the near future, I will be spending on furniture, bedsheets, detergent, groceries more than I spend on my wardrobe, accessories, skincare... baby diapers! Better treasure this time now.