Wednesday, July 28, 2010

a little shopping

I really like Leonardo DiCaprio. I've watched his first few movies as well as his recent ones. Most lately, 'Inception'. What a masterpiece and one of the few movies that has kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time... gripping, powerful imagery and all the actors in the show pack a strong performance.

This month is coming to an end and work-wise is a bit of a roller coaster ride for me. I've actually been in the sales cycle but I must say I don't really enjoy the highs and lows. The fulfilment is great when you hit the highs but the lows make me a whiny, ranting person, easily bored... so... I guess with every sales-related job we have to develop ways of coping. Sometimes my job leaves me a huge chunk of time in the afternoons so I am trying to gym, or go on long walks to stay healthy. Meanwhile I do hope that this month pans out better than I've expected. I only placed two people early this month and so got rather edgy throughout. I tie performance and productivity to my self-esteem, I guess. But this week, the last week of July - how fast time flies - should turn out to be a good one. Fingers crossed and prayers answered, there should be two more people being placed in really good jobs, and I have 10 people going for interviews this week, so out of the group, half being placed will be nice. It's a last minute push to the end of the month, and it helps that rather of attaching a 'cash value' to their heads, I see them as people. Being slightly more lovable this month, I do spend more time to explain to them how to score at interviews and the whole process, I hope they can have a clearer view and be more reassured. I'm also excited at meeting some of them after their first month on the job (hence a meal treat is expected from them to me, teehee) and seeing how their career progresses. Of course, most see keeping in touch as a way to 'touch base' with your network and, I could possibly make more money by headhunting them again, but I don't really see it that way. I really wanted to meet up with them , learn from them because all of them are professionals with many years of experience in their own right, and if I do manage to prop up their career again in the future, then it will be a bonus. After all I can't possibly meet every single one of them - I can, but I'm not inclined to be social just for the sake of it! Plus, some of their mugshots are really cute and there's a little sinister despicable me wondering if they are just photogenic or are really as cute as they are on their passport photo. My passport photo doesn't do me any favors.

Me and TheBoyfriend went shopping yesterday - rare, but now that he goes fishing so often I have a rule that he must spend time doing the things I like as well. So we went karaoke previous week and did a bit of window shopping last weekend at Ion, fast becoming one of my favorite places. We went to 'The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands' too but apart from a nice dessert place selling delectable cakes, the whole place was still being retrofitted and not many shops were open. Anyways, I took him last week to a bag shop. I've decided (for the moment) that I will not save up to buy my first LV, miumiu, or what have you... as I don't really take care of my bags, I think the investment will look old too soon. If I had a blessed month and earned a significant sum, I think I'd rather spend it on upgrading my face, investing, a nice watch, something like that.

But I'm not a fan of cheapo bags either so those in the Agnes B, Longchamp, or Coach pricing range of bags will suit me fine! So I took him to this bag shop to show him a lambskin puffy bag I liked and to see what he though of it. Yes, he thought it was lovely as well. But more surprisingly, he fell in love with a gray leather satchel with dark chocolate straps. TheBoyfriend doesn't like these stuff easily so I was really surprised. Heh. And he said that I'm making him more vain. We went to another outlet of the shop at Marina Sands and we were told it was the last one. So sad! But trusting in my womanly instinct, as we happened to chance by orchard yesterday, we simply HAD to walk past the store again. You know, when there's something you can't get out of your mind and you like it very much, it's always the case that it's 'the last piece' or sold out.... or don't have your size... stuff like these always happens to me... (like that time I liked a super nice beige shorts at m)phosis and 's' was sold out.I contemplated buying the 'm', I could fit it too, but the 'm' was the very last one and it looked a little worn, so I passed. The happy ending to this story is that I found a similar and cheaper beige shorts at bysi! whee!)

And the shop... was open! At 10pm! Who would have guessed.

So in we walked... ... and came out with two bags. TheBoyfriend bought the one I liked as an anniversary present, yay, and the last gray one was the last gray one, but there was ... one more gray one coming in this week, so we 'choped' and paid for it first. Double yay! Very happy, thanks to my women's intuition...if we had never walked past the shop yesterday, if we had never asked, and if the sheet of bags coming in was not in yesterday, we would have lived in regret of not having this little thing that we liked very much. Haha.

For those interested to know, mine's a square puffy lambskin bag very much like a cushion, similar to the ones at Chanel. The color is an unlikeable (shit) brown, but somehow I always can carry off those dull colors...

And that's all the shopping we'd be doing for some time now. I'm going to try not to eat at any restaurants or expensive entertainment whole month of August, saving up for my trip in September... though I doubt that's possible as we're surrounded by shopping malls and good food. Still, I hope I can demonstrate restraint...