Monday, August 30, 2010

pre-holiday stress?

Oh man, I'm going to Melbourne (Yay!) in a few days' time and just when I thought that I had finished up my pile of work, some interesting opportunities came in. Of course, I gotta work on it, who can say no to more $$$? Tee hee. It's not only about the money, it does give me an immense sense of satisfaction to 'matchmake' the right jobs to the right people, and having more 'higher' levels of jobs to fulfil this time round, it's also a fun learning experience for me to talk to those 'bigger' people. But, the pile is scary and I'm really feeling quite stressed these few days.

It's interesting to see how different people manage stress. For me I recall my previous 'breakdown and chillout for a day' and I think everyone needs that timeout once in a while. Most people become depressed due to external circumstances not within their control. Mostly due with relationships, if not then work-related financial issues.

For me, I become depressed when, thinking that I can handle whichever situations, I realized after that I actually can't, and then get down that I can't. I'm not that ambituous or capable but I always feel that I don't want to 'short-change' myself by wasting time slacking when I could spend it on more profitable pursuits. I always felt that I'm intelligent but I have wasted away my time, too much, galllivanting around, being sociable, in the past. And now I need to focus.

Anyway, it's always a comforting thought to know that anyone can excel even though he/she has a limited skillset. It only takes a little bit of thick-skin to ask people for help, opportunities, and recommendations and I'm glad I have done so.

Meanwhile I need to start packing...