Monday, September 13, 2010

to aussieland and back

I recently had a lunchtime chat with a male colleague and they always want to know what's on a woman's mind. As always, it comes down to asking, would I like a rich man? Of course, I answered. You could see the disappointment etched on his face, typecasting me into those materialistic Singaporean worker lady. Of course, if the question was phrased another way, IE: 'If you could choose to be on the richer side or the poorer side which would you choose' - I think the answer would not be met with such judgmental criticism. But actually, both are the same question if you think about it really... ... and I later explained that it's more of the character, the "nengkan" kind that I am looking for and hopefully have one here... =) If the guy was rich, and then became bankrupt, and then rich again, bankrupt again - the high risk takers, I wouldn't like to be a partner of those kind. I couldn't take the stress and unpredictability of it. I guess most of us are looking for stability in a relationship - but he can't be too boring either. A little adventure and romance would be good.

Most of all, he should be able to help me fulfil my dreams.

What are my dreams, the colleague asked, curious.

Well, I said my dreams are to.... travel the world! HAHA!

Jokes aside, it's nice to do some traveling while I'm still young. I'm not really into travelling when I'm old and graying. And definitely not keen to travel with excess baggage of diapers and kids in tow. I think it is really draining... I think this mentality leads to me being a spender and not a saver... it just does not work both ways!

So the big trip this year (Big as in expensive and long duration....) was to Melbourne!
Went down the Great Ocean Road, a place I did not get to visit last year. Also saw more of Victoria Market, and shopped loads more. Camberwell Sunday Market was a new find and it does make it to my list of must-go-places next time round. Best of all, was the catching up with friends for me and relatives for The Boyfriend. Hey, first time attending a 'western' wedding and I must say... it's almost as boring as the Chinese dinner. I think I'm truly not a fan of weddings... Although the dancing was quite fun (more to digest the rich food and to keep warm.)

It was pretty cold this round, so cold that the ski season in the mountains was extended a further 2 weeks. I think I prefer temperature of above 10deg, there were mornings that it hit 5, 7... and it was torturous getting out of bed or even going to the toilet for that matter! I loved it though that I didn't sweat, could wear the same pjs each night (it feels clean!) and the frosty winds closed up my face pores and I could wear makeup...and non waterproof mascara...and lipstick... and look great! Over here it's more like... hopefully the makeup doesn't become an oil slick due to the sweat and heat.

I think the thing I love most about traveling is that it's kinda like an escape from reality. Or rather, the unpleasant aspects about living in where you're living in. For those from the city, a countryside or kampung (not too extreme kampung) holiday would be nice, vice versa for those countryside people to come to the city for a bit. We can be who we want to be, the nice side of ourselves as well - feeling happy as larks on weekends and also shopping for unique items that can't be found here adds to our happy feeling. I got boots for A$15! Beat that! And a whole spring-summer collection from Valleygirl and Witchery! It's always good to go away for a while and I'm always thinking how blessed I am to have been to the places I've been... it was tough saving up for it and making plans, but the experience gained more than makes up for it. I shall irritate everyone with my faux Aussie accent... Lovely!