Tuesday, August 10, 2010

sittin' on the fence won't get you nowhere

There's an important question that all of us have to ask ourselves...

As you know, there's always a gap between the rich and the poor. If you could choose, would you want to be in the richer half or the poorer half?

Seriously, without a doubt, I think everyone in their right mind would say, richer half, of course!

I feel that many people shortchange themselves when it comes to choosing this path though. In many circles of devout believers being rich is almost obscene - or for that matter, being rich because of your success. I think that if you got it fair and square through your persistence and working for it, you should be proud of yourself for pushing yourself hard where others do not or can not.

But choosing this path takes sacrifices of course. Longer hours for some. More stress for some. Investments of time, money, effort, etc. Some of which may turn out to be futile. The road may be challenging but then again, definitely an exciting one. We will meet all sorts of characters and have the rose-tinted glasses pulled off our faces when we see the true nature of some... many people choose to take it easy though and just float through life. I am one of them. Thinking back, I can be too slackerish at times, although I always believe in working smart, not hard... I seem to always hit the minimum self-target that I set and then while the time away. In fact, I believe I am wasting quite a few hours of productive time each day.

So I hope to put the time to good use and churn out something good.

I also realised that those who score all 'A's in school may not turn out to be as successful as those with a killer EQ + hard work + smart work + connections + x factor in life. You see many models and actors are good looking but often the 'crowd favorite' or the most likeable ones may not be the most good-looking ones. Even the top sales representatives. Everyone has the perception that the ladies have to be very good looking or the guys very suave. But often it's not the case. There is some magic formula and I bet 'sitting on the fence' is not part of the equation.

Being in the 3rd month in this job, apart from this month, I have managed to hit all my personal targets. Yes, I did put in effort to do so. Any newbie in the industry would have been proud of my achievements. But compared to the go-getter and gung-ho attitude I used to have in my previous sales job, I think I lack that which I used to have, and I need that to go the extra mile. It really takes a go-getter attitude to talk to people when you're not in the mood or when they are not nice to talk to.

Compared to my new colleagues, I am still ahead. Some of them did not manage to close any sales in the first month... it's really God's grace that I did it so easily and thought it was so easy! I know better now...

Time to move my butt off the fence...